Tuesday, 3 November 2020

Hurricane

We open the window
Stick our heads out
Let the eye of the hurricane
Touch our skin
It feels electric
Charged
Painful
Do you remember when
Pain kept us alive
She giggles
Her words get swept away
In the current of air
I like that
It feels almost like a celebration
A casting away of the old
An opening for the new
The leaves crackle and burn
The flowers bend
We are alive I think
Isn't that curious 
She says
We stand at the window
Right until the light fades
The sky is too crumpled
For stars
The wind has made us ready to sleep
We drink warm milk
Cuddle up in the red bed
The hurricane has passed
Now a gentle breeze
Rocks us
To and fro
To and fro
I feel her hand reach for mine
This was a better day wasn't it
She says
Yes 
I reply
A better day indeed.   

8 comments:

  1. I love those better days which happen oftener and oftener as our hearts make their way. I love the current of air casting away the old and making an opening for the new. A beautiful poem. Makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the hurricane feels electric – our troubles are sometimes so unreal that we need to stick our heads out and feel them. But how sad the thought that pain can keep us alive. My favourite lines:
    ‘Her words get swept away
    In the current of air
    I like that
    It feels almost like a celebration’
    and
    ‘The sky is too crumpled
    For stars’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the calm surprise and relief, like a sort of awakening, in the lines:
    We are alive I think
    Isn't that curious
    She says

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the weather certainly has a mind of its own doesn't it? Having someone to talk to and be with is very reassuring too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived through three hurricanes in 2004 / Florida. Your poem touched on something I had forgotten ... that feel of electric energy. The eye never lasted long enough, the feeder bands were frightening, the destruction never ending. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the soothing of the rocking in the breeze, the electric feeling of the hurricane and absolutely love 'The sky is too crumpled
    For stars'

    ReplyDelete
  7. "We drink warm milk
    Cuddle up in the red bed
    The hurricane has passed"
    Luv these lines so much hope from the wind through the opened window

    Muchđź’™love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always marvel at your gentle poems, and enjoy them so much!

    ReplyDelete