Tuesday, 17 November 2020

Celebration

The cake is slowly rising 
In the oven
It smells sweet and warm
Like rainfall on a summers day
We watch it through the glass
It's like magic she squeals
We are having a celebration
A party to mark the days that were
And the ones that are yet to come
We set the table 
A red check tablecloth
A porcelain teapot
Cups and saucers 
Shiny spoons
And knives and forks
We blow up balloons
Pink and blue
Pink for the colour of her skin
Blue for the colour of her dress
She huffs and puffs
Falls over
Dizzy and happy
We tie strings around them
Let them float
As high as the ceiling
As wide as her eyes
For a while we forget that
It will only be us at the party
We seem to be enough for each other
And all her friends are fading
She twirls and sings
Perhaps it feels like a birthday
A real one
Where everything is special
Soon enough the cake is cooked
I lay it on the table
The top is golden
The bottom filled with cream
And jam
I hand her the serving knife
She cuts two slices
We sit back
Let the soft sponge 
Melt on our tongues
It is heaven
This is a very fine party
She declares
Silently I agree
And let the day drift away
To become a shining memory.

11 comments:

  1. Memories are really precious aren't they? When you recall them you are comforted by them even though they may be from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your poem builds up, like the cake slowly rising In the oven, and it does smell sweet and warm! And such a good reason to have a celebration. It’s a bit like the Mad Hatter’s tea party, with balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Jae, luv the sweetness and warmth the cake in the oven evokes

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two friends alone can indeed make a great celebration. Who needs a great crowd when you have each other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would cherish an invitation to this sweet party ......

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gentle quiet party for two. If it were for three I'd want to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just imagine that aroma! And cream and jam sound wonderful right now, I just had a piece with gooey, too much chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem. You seem to have found an inner peace, Jae.If it is easily digestible please send me a box of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and yummy! Was the dormouse present?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound like an enjoyable party. :) I can see and almost feel and taste that cake.

    ReplyDelete