Thursday, 12 November 2020

Cornfield

We make a nest
In the green cornfield
The sun has made the stalks
Bristle and crackle
They scratch our bare feet
We slide through
The rows of corn
Sink into the green grass
Lie underneath an open sky
Where the specks on 
The butterfly wings
Catch the light
Blue and tender
Magical
Alice sings to herself
Her voice makes me smile
It is good to be on the
Other side of the door
I am not sure how much longer
We could wait there
Wishing
Hoping
Dreaming 
Moving our body
Moves our mind
Opens up a bigger world
Reveals doors and windows
To pick and choose
Just like Wonderland
She giggles
We do not think about
Where we will go tomorrow
Or any days ahead
All that counts is today
Making it through day and night
Enjoying the sun
Lying quietly
In our green cornfield. 

8 comments:

  1. "It is good to be on the
    Other side of the door"
    are my favorite lines.
    I enjoyed this very much. Lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing here is so beautiful Jae. Alice seems to have the wisdom to explain all...how we all must wish for a friend like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem appeals to all the senses, Jae. I especially love the bristle and crackle of the stalks that scratch bare feet and the specks on the butterfly wings that catch the light. On this cold, wet day I’d give anything for some sunshine and a green cornfield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Settling into the grass and watching the butterflies is such a warm image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Havinag spent a lot of childhood days in a cornfield, I identified with this one, Jae. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Moving our body / Moves our mind." I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... there is a sweet, gentle, soothing tone to the poetry you share, and I could never tire of reading it.

    ReplyDelete