Summer has drifted away
As imperceptibly as grief
She was a courteous guest
Full of light
And orange skies
Now winter comes
It turns the sky blue
Gifts us with moonlight
We like the distillation
The crisp lines
And bitter cold
We blow on our hands for warmth
When dusk draws in
We escape in the night
Visit stars
Take wing and flight
In our dreams we are graceful
Unburdened by our aching flesh
Our skin still tears and burns
The pain comes
And goes
We wear soft cotton
To wrap us up
Like clouds
She giggles
For a moment everything is clear
We know our place
Understand our time
Accept what will be
In the end
We still miss her of course
But life is simpler
Without the Red Queen
We can play and dream
And that makes winter
Very fine indeed.
"as imperceptibly as grief...." What a cool line. I like winter too - indoor weather - cups of tea, warm fleece, movies...........more of an indoor life which suits this hermit very well, especially during covid.
ReplyDeleteYes, life is much simpler without summer's heat and activities and garden chores! I do like the colder weather to, as you say, "dream." I enjoyed reading this and recalling summer. It seems so long ago already.
ReplyDeleteExcept for one wowser of a snowstorm, it has been all too mild a winter. Not enough moisture puts us in danger of more wildfires. (I'm in Colorado.)
ReplyDelete~cie from poetry of the netherworld~
Love your words but must admit I prefer the warmer climes.
ReplyDeleteNevertheless I love wrapping myself in a fleece in these colder times - there is much comfort in it.
Anna :o]
It is coming in our summer in Australia however is great for me...provided it behaves itself and and doesn't roast us and the air conditioner keeps working!
ReplyDeleteI also prefer autumn’s distillation, Jae, the ‘crisp lines and bitter cold’. I love the simile ‘as imperceptibly as grief’ and the personification of summer as a courteous guest. Autumn means woolly jumpers, scarves and gloves, and I can get my hats out! My favourite lines:
ReplyDelete‘We escape in the night
Visit stars
Take wing and flight
In our dreams we are graceful’.
A beautiful poem – but, like Robin and Anna, I prefer the warmth. We are having a little cold spell here in our late Spring at the moment, and I hate being taken unawares and shivering, and having to put back the doona I just took off my bed. I am glad, though, that you can enjoy the playing and dreaming.
ReplyDeleteLuv the resolution to go with the flow as your season changes
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday
Muchđź’—love
Summer may have been a courteous guest in your part of the world, but here in the Desert Southwest, she was temperamental and almost impossible to deal with. I'm so glad she's gone (at least for a while)!
ReplyDeleteAnd may winter be very fine indeed...and see control of this beastly Covid!
ReplyDelete