Tuesday, 17 September 2019

Vigilance

We have to remain vigilant little cricket
Who knows if the clouds might fall
Or the sky turn black above us
It has always been like this
Running
Never still
Always chasing Rabbit
Tumbling through mirrors
Struggling with stairs
We are lying down beneath the stars
Silent but together
It really has been a journey
Perhaps we feel a little more safe
It is inevitable
The shock can't help but fade with passing years
And how quickly those years seem to pass
The toll painted on my body
My head crushed like brittle candy
Amidst the chaos it is hard to dream
There was a time when we didn't dream at all
Now they drift in and out like baby breaths
Perhaps there will be a day when we do not need to lock the door
Or worry about being found
Fear makes the wolf look bigger she chuckles
Her presence makes me believe there will be a day when we can walk barefoot
No longer dressed up and ready to flee
Tired and braced for danger
Today is slipping away
I hold her hand
We are another step forward
A little less scared.

8 comments:

  1. Another poem to go on my favorites list. I like the wistfulness and love the image "like baby breaths."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the dreams that are baby breaths....and the feeling a little more safe. Especially, I love "Amidst the chaos it is hard to dream." Yes, it is. This is such a beautiful poem, Jae. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am joyed the idea of dreams that I like baby breaths. It’s created a vivid image in my mind. Well crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, loved this part. It is hard to dream but, we must continue to dream big.

    Amidst the chaos it is hard to dream
    There was a time when we didn't dream at all
    Now they drift in and out like baby breaths

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve created a delicate balance in this poem, Jae, with the apparent innocence, echoes of Chicken Licken wondering if the clouds/sky might fall on her head, and the underlying wisdom of inevitability and knowledge that the shock will fade with passing years. I love the comfort of ‘lying down beneath the stars / Silent but together’ and dreams drifting ‘in and out like baby breaths’.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I loved this writing Jae which really is one of your best. Holding hands certainly is the best way not to feel scared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this poem Jae. It is so full of sensitivity towards the human condition. Your writing is wise and so so full of talent. I love 'Fear makes the wolf look bigger.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little steps...Good to hear you are a little less scared..We can't continue to live in a state of fear. Keep the dreams of walking bare feet.

    ReplyDelete