Saturday, 21 September 2019

Orange

Her tiny hands lie in mine
We are rolled up
Sheltered from the wind
The sun falls like pressed oranges
Summer disappears
The blue sky is nourishing and vivid
We sip it up
Bones grifting
Thoughts whirring
Leaves swirling like tangled hair
There is a constant motion
We are always at the mercy of the potter's wheel
Painting pictures
Following all the routes
Tracing tracks and trails
Our finger tips are muddied
Creating stories
Wandering guiltily
Small particles sucked up like lemonade through a straw
Feet of clay
Evil trumped
Colluding and denying
We saw the end
Doubled back
Happy to sleep through another day.

16 comments:

  1. These memories of a grandma’s kitchen are like pieces of a richly coloured mosaic, Jae, with the taste of citrus.
    I love the lines:
    ‘The sun falls like pressed oranges
    Summer disappears
    The blue sky is nourishing and vivid’
    And
    ‘Our finger tips are muddied
    Creating stories
    Wandering guiltily
    Small particles sucked up like lemonade through a straw’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You create such vivid pictures! Though it opens and closes with rest, this poem has a lovely pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love you poetry Jae as your descriptions are so visual and entertaining such as "the sun falls like pressed oranges" and "our fingertips are muddied like telling stories". You are always a pleasure to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And eloquent write. I love your descriptions. The sun phone in class pressed oranges is such a vivid image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the contrasts in this poem, Jae. I feel happiness and contentment in the first part of the poem & then at the end I feel once again the pains of today's world. Oh that evil everywhere will be 'trumped' soon and we can get on with acting as positive human beings once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the best response to being sucked up through life's unforgiving straw is a good nap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sun falling like pressed oranges is such a fresh image! I love the line about being at the mercy of the potter's wheel. Wonderful, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleeping through the day would be lovely if it wasn't for the dreams... (at least for me)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a journey and transformation from beginning to end. I will have to read this many times over to properly soak it all in. Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the sun falling like pressed oranges - what an image! Small particles sucked up like lemonade through a straw....another wonderful image. I love this poem so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good. I see you resisted any attempt to drag this down to a trump level!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem reminds me of my sister and I--we took a short trip recently--and it was lovely to spend that much time together--we hadn't done so in a long time--and she and I recognizing the potter's wheel as it spins in our lives--beautiful write!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sunsensational. Salute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sunsensational. Salute!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant imagery in this … really, really special piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sometimes it is better to sleep through another day, isn't it?
    good imagery in the poem. :)

    ReplyDelete