Tuesday, 10 September 2019

Looking At Stars

We lie on the ground and look up at the stars
They sparkle and shine
Bright as sugar sprinkled on cinnamon buns
Good enough to eat she squeals
I imagine if we swallow them our hearts will glow
It is quite a nice idea
A distant dream
We glide through days like hands through water
Time passes
The wind picks up
We measure time through light and dark
Perhaps we like the morning better
When it is crisp and blue
But then the night wraps us up in glorious dark
And we sleep under the magic of a thousand faraway places
We like that too
Sleeping is peaceful and we breathe slowly
No more chasing Rabbit
No more broken tea cups with Hatter
No more visions from the Red Queen
We just disappear simply into ourselves
Like a star imploding never to glow again
Let's pick a star and call it a name
She giggles full of sugar and shine
Everything good needs a name
We crunch the sugar and think
No word quite measures up to the task
The sky grows darker and the stars fade
We close our eyes
The sparkle drifting through our thoughts
Tomorrow will bring a different sky to marvel under
A million stars to name.

15 comments:

  1. Stars like sugar, making hearts glow........how very lovely. I love the gliding through days like hands through water. Such beautiful imagery, Jae. So sweet, "she giggles, full of shimmer and shine". I love the peacefulness in this poem. I love that tomorrow will bring a million stars to name. Sigh. I just loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Jae! So peaceful, looking at stars, especially if they look “like sugar sprinkled on cinnamon buns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful and really one of your best pieces Jae. You completely wrapped me up in your words and I even loved your reference to your times in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is a delight. Every word is like sugar sprinkle making the reader's heart glow. "We close our eyes / The sparkle drifting through our thoughts / Tomorrow will bring a different sky to marvel under / A million stars to name." So beautiful Jae!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wonderland references work very well here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much magic in this poem, Jae! But it's the idea of swallowing stars to make one glow that really makes me giddy with wonder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of hearts as stars. That we glow from inside. And you cannot find a name more beautiful than hers. Because she sparkles and shines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! My new favorite of yours! To take that vastness and look forward to it, to know the beauty of both the bright morning and the star sparkled night that wraps around us and sends our thoughts flying--it's all smiles. It gives me back the innocent night.
    Love: "I imagine if we swallow them our hearts will glow" amnd every othr line as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful..Your poem takes me back to when my daughters were young and all of us would lay on a blanket and look up at the stars. "We glide through days like hands through water" Love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely images in this poem. This puts me in mind of those star cut out sugar cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got hungry reading this! I love the way you wove the authors’ perceptions into this poem. I, too wish I could eat a star and glow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt like I inhabited a different world as I read this. Perhaps the world I wish existed lets us swallow stars and eat all the sugar we want.
    Lovely writing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is so beautiful! I love the feeling of happiness that runs through it, as well as the delicious (!) imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poem takes me to those carefree childhood days...a magical twinkling world where"... we sleep under the magic of a thousand faraway places
    We like that too
    Sleeping is peaceful and we breathe slowly"- I love this, Jae. Beautiful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your poem full of sprinkles of sugar and shine....just lovely !

    ReplyDelete