Tuesday, 3 September 2019

Literacy

We dine on syllables
Crunch on vowels
Letters and numbers spilling from our fingers
Spreading like rainbow dust
Falling on the paper with a splish and a splash
Just like dinner served up on a plate
Perfectly cooked and ready to eat
It's all about making patterns
Finding a thread from beginning to end
Playing
Deliberating over sentences and letters
Remembering our lessons
Wondering how there can be a wrong way and a right way
We have gathered words
Filled a book with crumpled papers
Tiny ink filled lines
Savouring some moments
Dispelling others
Always learning
Never stopping
Happy with some rhymes
Angry at others
It's all a story
One without a beginning or an end
One we write as we breathe
Chapters we forget
Paragraphs that disappear
Shed like skin
Move on
Swallow down
Ready for the next page
Clean empty and burning bright.

9 comments:

  1. Ha today we spoke somewhat similarly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of literacy being like rainbow dust Jae. You have a great gift for finding similes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious. Now I gotta go have breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How absolutely wonderful and "like rainbow dust." This is my new favorite of all your poems. I visualized it, and realized it is what I d, too--but more alive, way more! I'd love to share this poem. I wish I had written it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s wonderful, Jae; it’s what literacy is all about, devouring words and knowledge! I love the idea of:
    ‘Letters and numbers spilling from our fingers
    Spreading like rainbow dust’
    and the analogy:
    ‘It's all about making patterns
    Finding a thread from beginning to end’.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ebb and flow of this write. Some perfect metaphors here. My fave is dining on syllables. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! "We dine on syllables, crunch on vowels." How perfect! It IS all a story, that we write as we go along. We are mapping our journey, and leaving a trail of crumbs for those who wish to know us to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can there be a nobler human endeavor than gathering words?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...literacy is food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete