Sunday, 23 June 2019

Cells

She wipes the sugar from her lips
She is wakeful
Full of beans
I'm hungry as a mountain
Restless and sleepy
My cells bubble under my skin
They make me hug the floor
Trip skip fall through the border
I pass her the cup
She holds it in her tiny hands
No need to ask why
The stench of soap permeates the air
Freshens up our cage
Let's us make that evil crossing into sleep
I can't deny how anxious life makes me
We visit the willow tree
Let it cast a shadow
Let us be.

14 comments:

  1. (Clever double-meaning in the title.)

    I hope the willow's shadow will bring peace and protection ... it being a tree which is reputed to be good for poets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We visit the willow tree"
    Ah, A proposed sleep, to be soothed to weep to heal. A Happy Sunday and a good week on awakening

    Thanks for dropping by my blog this morning Jae

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hungry as a mountain is a cool concept! I especially love the visit to the willow, and your closing lines. So poignant,the "let us be."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's us make that evil crossing into sleep
    I can't deny how anxious life makes me

    How true it is for some people who struggle to get some sleep. To them there are factors stopping them from getting asleep. It breaks the rhythm to make them jittery. You got it right Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Under the willow tree IS a good place to just be! An evocative write, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly it is the weeping willow where tears are shed and no one notices. Alice however seems to cope in any situation, doesn't she? Your snippets with Alice are so full of a mixture of sadness and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insomnia is a beast. You captured the weary but restless energy very well here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Willow is a symbol of weeping..how appropriate that can be

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I can't deny how anxious life makes me”. Finding out what makes us shake, even break... gives a soul so much power, often enough to deal with most of the anxiety, I think (and really hope).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fearing the nightmares is one of the reasons I have difficulties falling asleep... it is truly a cage

    ReplyDelete
  11. This a poem that brushes up close and then lives under the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had insomnia all my life. I do some of my best writing and some of my worst sleeping at night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!

    "We visit the willow tree
    Let it cast a shadow
    Let us be."

    What a wonderful indelible close.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These lines are so full:

    "My cells bubble under my skin
    They make me hug the floor"

    "Freshens up our cage"

    ReplyDelete