Sunday, 10 February 2019

Table

We sing and laugh around the kitchen table
Brothers and sisters in arms
Dare we eat
Say what's on our minds
It's a sly darkness
A beautiful well of fear
We shoot apart
Give cadence to our song
Chart and barter
Count the stars
Just a small distance apart
Shining like a beacon in the night
How did we get here
Flying a shy chance
Marring our skin
It barely matters
As long as we are together
Singing quietly
Embracing the stars.

12 comments:

  1. Oh! What a marvelously beautiful poem, full of gorgeous lines. Especially those closing ones. My new favourite of yours. Peaceful Sunday to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the intimacy of this scene, Jae, with them singing and laughing around the kitchen table, which starts off with uncertainty, ‘a sly darkness / A beautiful well of fear’, which makes me sad that this is possibly the first time they’ve done this together, ‘Singing quietly / Embracing the stars’. I hope they get to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a sly darkness, a co-conspirator to hiding what we want hidden, so we can keep the light only on the spots of our choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so much that the joy of being together is also being close to a volcano to erupt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, what a beautiful write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful use of the given words, Jae

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this. I have no siblings, but your poem could apply to all of us in this world. May we sing quietly and embrace the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Embracing the stars hmmm what an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops! I thought I had commented on this one but luckily came back to check. Life's full of ups and downs, sometimes we are happy sometimes sad but the main thing is not to give up. By embracing the stars we can do this know what has pleased us in this life that made it all worth while. Perhaps one day I will be able to listen to your song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely it would be to embrace the stars. Beautifully written, Jae!

    ReplyDelete