Alice brushes the hair off her face
We are reading fiction
Telling stories
Waiting
The powder courses through our veins
Never enough
Hatter smiles and waves
We drink coffee and eat cake
Drop pennies down the sink
Grapple for words
The radio plays
We brush the hair off our face
Take a break
Laugh in the night
We are reading fiction
Telling stories
All is calm
All is well.
I love the reading and telling of stories....hat is how I spend my nights, too....rading....never enough books! LOL. Drinking coffee and eating cake sounds fine, though I wouldnt sleep a wink if I drank coffee after 11 a.m. Smiles. Always a pleasure to read you, Jae.
ReplyDeleteWhat an beautiful upbeat poem of reassurance Jae. (Except for one line which I won't mention!) So what was the book you were reading?
ReplyDeleteIt's good to take a break and laugh in the night and read fiction and tell stories than 'Waiting'. The word stabs.
ReplyDeleteI get the sense that "All is calm /All is well." is the greatest fiction here! Though a night like this can chase some of the hobgoblins away. Beautifully done!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed reading can be such a balm, in this crazy-centered world
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday Jae.
much love...
Fiction can certainly be a soothing anodyne against life's pain.
ReplyDeleteHa, I wrote the comment on my tablet in the middle of the night. Sorry for the typos, kiddo.
ReplyDeleteI think this is wonderful. Soothing. I love that the powder could be cocaine or koolaid. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the double Alice reference in this poem, Jae, and fiction being an antidote to life - it has got me through so much in my own life.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful poem, love the words.
ReplyDeleteIn fiction all is calm and well. It is not about your life, most of the time. Curious about the white powder. Beautiful poem, Jae.
ReplyDelete