We write poems in the morning
Frost sits heavy on our lips
Words unspoken
Stories untold
TV blaring
Radio crackling
Music shaking our head
We wait for powder
Let him in
To watch
Hatter walks down the middle of the street
I follow him
Wish for syllables
A goose chase
A pillow stuffed up against the window
Block the screams
Wear a heart upon your ear
We write poems in the morning.
Morning is, I think, the best time to write poems, even if they don't quite come together all at once, even if we have to wait for powder to jolt us to awareness!
ReplyDeleteThe peculiar setup of writing poems in the morning, with its quirks and methods can be such an inspiration. Following the hatter, wishing for syllables made me smile, but then the screams bring to light a certain wakefulness, something that listens to and writes about things one would rather block. Very well penned!
ReplyDeleteYes, YES! That's it! What we must do to begin, as we begin, before the syllables and forms become clear.
ReplyDeleteThe frost on her lips, the stifled screams, against the everyday sound of tv and radio........a strong contrast. I love Hatter walking down the street. And wearing a heart upon one's ear. Smiles.
ReplyDeleteMorning is the best time to write poems. There's something potent about transferring unspoken words to paper before they vanish into thin air. Brilliant write, Jae.
ReplyDeleteMy best poems have been written in the morning. However, I've never had the benefit of an imagination and talent for writing as you do. Enjoyed this.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a surreal scene yet the "wish for syallables" is what makes it real once more
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday Jae
Much🔷️☺🔷️love
I must confess I preferred it when Alice was your muse Jae; but hey you are writing the poetry. Good to read that the Mad Hatter is getting some exercise and not holed up somewhere!
ReplyDelete"Frost sits heavy on our lips" & "Wish for syllables" & "We write poems in the morning.", is quite a journey, methinks. Haven't we all been in this journey? Lovely, Jae.
ReplyDeleteI identify with this poem, Jae, as morning is the best time for writing poetry. I love the lines:
ReplyDelete'Frost sits heavy on our lips
Words unspoken'.
"Frost sits heavy on our lips
ReplyDeleteWords unspoken"
Beautiful lines, and how lovely to write in early morning.