Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Butter





















We are apple dust and lost time
Floating
In space
Out of space
Running out of rhymes

It is so quiet you could hear a
Butterscotch
Drop
Drop

This is my occupation
It occupies me fully
I think

What do you think Alice

It’s like wearing tin epaulettes
She shouts
Get them off
Get them off

She tears at her shoulders and cries

This is a silly occupation
And you are silly too

I don’t like to see her cry
It’s like watching me

Lay out the grease
Light a match
Stand back
Ignite

Down we go to hell
Except it’s not hell
It is an ordinary kind of day

Fire burning in the wrong direction

She hiccups salty tears
I want to go home
I’m scared
You don’t even try any more 

She looks like a dolly sobbing 
I can’t watch

Walk away
Snap the sugar lump
All so very pointless

Sweet gas and shining ambivalence

Not everything can be coated in sugar you know
She wipes her face on the edge of her dress

We will never get out if we are rotting inside

I want to smooth her face with a cool cloth

How did you get back Alice
From the other side

I looked ahead
Then saw what I needed to leave behind 

It is so quiet you could hear a 
Butterscotch
Drop
Drop

Apple dust and lost time.

50 comments:

  1. "I don’t like to see her cry"...neither do we...she needs to get out of the ordinary and sugar coated life and get back rhyme...."We will never get out if we are rotting inside"..this is one pearl of wisdom....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Sumana - i think Alice was indeed the voice of reason today

      Delete
  2. an odd juxtaposition, sweet apple dust and butterscotch and the salty tears and sadness. Fall is my favorite season and yet it is a sad time as well. I hope Alice stocked up on fruit and candy and warm socks for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we are as odd as our juxtapositions! Thank you kindly Dee - and good to see you..we have plenty of fruit and fluffy socks...it's a start I suppose ;)

      Delete
  3. Not everything can be coated in sugar you know
    She wipes her face on the edge of her dress

    Often when you're out to tell the truth to the other person.. its simply not possible to sugarcoat the details.. as the truth is often quite harsh. Beautifully penned.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is - particularly when we have to acknowledge it within ourselves..thank you kindly Sanaa

      Delete
  4. Moderation. Sugar and salt as well.
    Life can be a living ...
    Yes sometimes we can't get back from where we came.
    And other times we have to leave treasures behind.

    I am trying to voice the truth to a family member that refuses to admit to a grievous fault. And until they recognize that I am afraid for them - there is no moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jules - it is a stalemate position - perhaps truth cannot be shown by another...at certain times we have to protect ourselves and create some distance perhaps...in some ways perhaps this is the best gift to give to the other so they may learn for themselves? and if they don't it's not a question of right wrong..loving or abandoning but just being as we all must do

      Delete
  5. Down we go to hell
    Except it’s not hell
    It is an ordinary kind of day

    An ordinary day can be hellish if one gets it on the wrong foot! Very true in many instances, Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly can - thank you very much Hank

      Delete
  6. You know how people try to give you sweets when you are unhappy like the candy will fix the problem?
    Alice we need to look at this from a different angle - forget the candy maybe we need a bonfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like your advice...a healthy disposal of all the sugar coated nonsense and lies..safe...controlled...finite...think you kindly Leslie

      Delete

  7. Really hard when the difference between hell and an ordinary day are imperceptible. I hope there is a way to get out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too thank you Mary - I suppose words are a kind of step ladder

      Delete
  8. The thread of inner struggle ..so tangled ... Your word play is always riveting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thread of inner struggle..so tangled. Your wordplay is always riveting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are tangled up and riveted in! Two perfect words..thank you kindly thotpurge

      Delete
  10. luv the disintegration with which you opened this piece

    have a nice midweek

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena - and a good mid week back to you

      Delete
  11. "I don’t like to see her cry
    It’s like watching me'
    Ha! Your narrator is on to something, poised as she is with the matches! The stillness--the sense of suspended action--within this poem is so positive it feels like a fulcrum or pivot to a new discovery:
    "I looked ahead
    Then saw what I needed to leave behind "
    (I have stopped thinking of the narrator in your poems as "you"--everything in our poems is probably both us and not us. Perhaps the mood of the poem is most like ourselves--panicking, calm, inquisitive, playful. (In my case the mood seems to be resolute seeking, if that can be called a mood.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a perfect mood and thank you for seeing the voice as a whole - rightly wrongly..real or not I guess it comes form the same place ..let's hope it is a positive discovery many thanks Susan

      Delete
  12. I looked ahead
    Then saw what I needed to leave behind
    I hope that is to find happiness and a way to leave the bad behind you~ hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's part of the process if not all - thank you kindly Sheilagh

      Delete
  13. Those dratted fires always seem to burn in the wrong direction. Why can't they just cooperate and do what we tell them to do?

    Holy Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew magical - will your holy fire show me - I will take a look..maybe a while have to take a detour via the hospital..thank you and let's hope Alice keeps the home fires burning

      Delete
    2. Alice is completely dependable (I think), and will definitely keep those home fires burning in your absence. Be well.

      Delete
  14. WOW! This is a spectacular write on so many levels. I love the repetition of the "apple dust and lost time". BUT I hear the wisdom, the knowing, the certainty of "I looked ahead then saw what i needed to leave behind." There's your exit ramp, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sherry - now for the courage to use it! One step at a time I suppose xo

      Delete
  15. Apple dust and lost time

    That is just exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mama Zen - not sure where that image came from but it seemed pleasant!

      Delete
  16. "Not everything can be coated in sugar you know
    She wipes her face on the edge of her dress"--- True that!! Sometimes things are coated with quinine too!!
    "We will never get out if we are rotting inside."....That's the truth. And not everyone understands it !! Wise words, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinine coating - there's a story ;) thank you kindly Panchali

      Delete
  17. I totally see Alice trying to get the stuff off her shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (other) Alice...maybe she needs a break at Mrs A's house

      Delete
  18. You are really amazing at putting such magic word pictures in our minds Jae. From "butterscotch drop" to "Hell...is just an ordinary day" then that beautiful moment of realisation at the end. As I say; pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Old Egg - it's always nicer to be a little more magical than weird (although maybe the two go hand in pocket)

      Delete
  19. These times always feel like an end but then...it changes...many realizations in this and raw emotions. Thank you, for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you also for reading and your insights Hannah

      Delete
  20. The ending is also a beginning, a trite little phrase, but true. Yet we can't help but feel the loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far from trite - i think it can be a wise and responsible move forward..thank you very much GL

      Delete
  21. I would hate to see Alice cry...crying is expressing sadness...but life isn't always happy...and maybe a little crying will wash the windows of the bus? Afterward we can see better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell - I love that image of washing the bus windows - how else can we drive ahead if our windows are dirty...

      Delete
  22. Yes, our growth depends on looking ahead and knowing what we have to leave behind. But, we often fear it will be like hell, then it's not. Thank you Jae for taking us on this adventure with your inner thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too Myrna for sharing the adventure and helping us along it..

      Delete
  23. Once more this read is just phenomenal, Jae Rose. You blow my socks off every time.

    I have included you in a little blogging game if you want to visit my place and join in? Totally up to you, my dear <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Claire - I will head over and see what you have in store..many thanks for thinking of me :)

      Delete
  24. It's sad to feel like 'We are apple dust' ...I love the Alice's answer to how to get out: look forward and just leave what not working behind....~ me catching up, sigh ~ Love xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you humbird - glad you are catching up...never a rush around here! :)

      Delete
  25. I am fascinated by the "apple dust". It's such a mysterious image and I made of it all sorts of things. I somehow saw Alice becoming demented in this one... Always a challenging read, your poems, Jae Rose, but rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it kind of fell from the sky - we are still figuring it out! Thank you kindly Nicholas - we are indeed challenging little soldiers (politely put ;)

      Delete