Saturday, 10 October 2015

Badge





















The lady wears a pink badge
I can help you find what you need
I wonder

I buy our sugar and milk
Pay the pennies
Nod my head
Leave

See, easy as pie whispers Alice
You just have to ask

I tuck her in my pocket 
With the numbers and letters
They will feel important later on

The air smells like that place
That place where 
My soul was chilled
Frozen
Buried in a cabin
Never to be sure shore shored again

Skip 
Trip
Make the link
She thrums
A pulse inside me
I dodge traffic
Think I will make it to the railings
With the birds
Never do
It’s not the distance or the wind
It’s the courage 
The urge
The risk
All packed up like a matter of fact

We get back
Last minute

I checked reality
She says
Breathless
It wasn't nice

The door is locked 
Although the key isn't turned
Locked in is a feeling
Not a shiny piece of metal she twirls

My eyes lift to purple
My soul drops to gold 

It’s not natural you know
Being stuck
Living thinly
Sinking in a stagnant pond
Wearing ourselves out 
Like water flushing away the dunes

I ran out of feathers
So wrap myself in stones

She gobbles up the fresh sugar
We need to ride our bicycles to the moon
Leave this vicinity of gloom
She gestures dramatically
Quick sticks
And no stopping to wonder why

I just want to lie down
Stop spinning
Start spinning
Anything but this

Here I am 
All bandages and smiles
Telling my story 
But not

She holds out her sticky hand 
The pink badge 
See 
Easy as pie
Just ask me 
I will show you what you need.

56 comments:

  1. Alice is quite a tease today; just how did she pick up that badge? And even she knows that fantasy is better than reality (well all of us writers do as well). Courage is always absent when we need it and stories only tell the part that doesn't us hurt too much. A great piece of writing Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Old Egg - right on all counts - as ever..i think Alice is always a bit of a tease and is obviously light fingered as well as sticky fingered!

      Delete
  2. it's difficult time when feather is replaced by stones...."We need to ride our bicycles to the moon / Leave this vicinity of gloom" and Alice is right....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed on that wish - thank you kindly Sumana

      Delete
  3. Here I am
    All bandages and smiles
    Telling my story
    But not

    That is truth and not just of this piece.

    http://myscatteredstones.blogspot.com/2015/10/sunday-scribblings-2-prompt-93.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chris - truth for far too many I suspect...sadly

      Delete
  4. I love the classic bicycles to the moon imagery...it causes me to think of E.T. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now you'll make me cry...thank you Hannah...we will peddle as if our lives depend on it!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes when I read your poems I think of a shattered looking-glass. So many bandages if you walk on glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bjorn - i think that describes it perfectly..if only it were as simple as sweeping up the broken glass

      Delete
  6. I ran out of feathers
    So wrap myself in stones

    This is soo moving.. so often it is that we struggle to protect ourselves from harmful external forces in this world. Beautifully executed.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sanaa - sometimes the internal forces can cause as much if not more damage..thank you kindly

      Delete
  7. Locked in is a feeling... Yes but hope there is a tiny window for sunshine to creep into your words. great writing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much thotpurge...a tiny window is a start at least...

      Delete
  8. Lots of profound thoughts here, Jae. The one that strikes me first is that the feeling of being locked doesn't depend on a key. It is a feeling one has...not dependent on a key! Always good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mary - always good to see you too

      Delete
  9. As always the surreal quirky quality of your writing is instantly recognizable ..a standout image is
    checked reality
    She says
    Breathless
    It wasn't nice

    Another wonder-filled write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your wonderful comment Pearl

      Delete
  10. Naughty naughty Alice! Now that poor lady will forget her name.

    Visit Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can be a pickle - thank you kindly Keith

      Delete
  11. Another amazing poem. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This part specially struck me:

    The door is locked
    Although the key isn't turned
    Locked in is a feeling
    Not a shiny piece of metal she twirls

    Another amazing poem Jae ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Grace - much appreciated

      Delete
  13. "We need to ride our bicycles to the moon"

    It is, exactly this kind of dare, which keeps hope alive for another day of life

    "Locked in is a feeling
    Not a shiny piece of metal she twirls"

    and frees life to be precisely what tomorrow has requested

    Sunday Lime this morning

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good dares can move us forward - thank you kindly Gillena

      Delete
  14. i was okay until i came to the part about being locked in. damn, i can't unlock it mentally. :(
    a lovely tons-of-things-to-ponder write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither...I guess we can wish our way out...eventually..hopefully..thank you ds

      Delete
  15. 'It’s not the distance or the wind
    It’s the courage
    The urge
    The risk' ~ agree, this all is motivation of our life. ~ "Locked in" I believe, we need believe - the perception: the small world still possible to fill with purpose....~ and yes, we need not afraid to ask, to wake up others, who scared of 'unfamiliar territories'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly humbird..courage is the key! We hope to find it :)

      Delete
  16. I ran out of feathers
    So wrap myself in stones

    I found these two lines to be so affecting, within the narrative. I admire the way you convey a sense of conversation in your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I was most struck by the same lines as Kerry, "I ran out of feathers, so wrapped myself in stones." And "it's not the distance or the wind, it's the courage." I hear that something traumatic happened in that cabin, that is still causing pain. And I love the bicycle to the moon lines....I love that Hannah thought of E.T. - that is pretty perfect. "E.T. phone home." Wherever home is, right, kiddo? I think it lives inside us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - I suppose we all have our cabins tucked in the recesses of our memory where things were even worse..then we grow a little can cycle away bit by bit...maybe if we are lucky even find the moon or the safe place inside - which is indeed home xo

      Delete
  18. On this difficult heartbreaking day I am having your words were hard for me...

    "It’s not natural you know
    Being stuck
    Living thinly
    Sinking in a stagnant pond
    Wearing ourselves out
    Like water flushing away the dunes"

    I think sometimes it is natural given circumstances in our lives as we try to work out of those dark places....big hugs to you!

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sticking with our words on a difficult day - much appreciated..yes life does seem to present challenges we need to work our way out of...perhaps we do it word by word - warm regards and a hug back (I find they help too ;)

      Delete
  19. I loved all wrapped up, matter of fact...and the last line from the 'little one' who thinks she knows! Wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little ones often do! Thank you kindly Annell xo

      Delete
  20. Locked in....no, it doesn't require a lock and key, does it? But I like these words: It’s the courage The urge The risk' ....that's the way to get free. Excellent and surreal but right on the mark. Hayes Spencer is Kanzensakura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hayes...now to leave the house..I suppose freedom starts in opening the door...even looking out the window maybe too

      Delete
  21. dark places and so much wisdom in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasa - we could use a climb to that beautiful church on the hill

      Delete
  22. Here I am
    all bandages and smiles
    telling my story
    but not

    We all do the same. I can remember when it was a 'good' day because no one asked, so I didn't have to lie. But then I began to write, it was the key and it took a long time to realize that. We only write well when we write about what we know. That means you and I are doing very well indeed, my friend. And again, Alice is correct: locked in isn't about a metal key and it isn't about courage either. We already have that or we wouldn't be doing this thing that we do. Hugs to both of you,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment - thank you Elizabeth - yes we are doing well...should really remember that..hugs and moon wishes back to you

      Delete
  23. Amazing writing, as ever, the way you put me right inside your experience....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool stutter: "sure shore shored" where
    "The air smells like that place
    That place where
    My soul was chilled . . . "
    You let the reader see your narrator losing her poise, poise that led her to attempt the store, the excursion from her room. Oh that air! In it, how can she make the railing or dodge traffic? So back to the room where Alice is always ready to encourage her to stay because reality "isn't nice." I don't think I've seen your narrator outside the locked room before, have I? I appreciate the dilemma of out/in, nowhere safe that you present. What can one do in such a trap? And again, it is a moving poem, worthy of the book ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Susan - what a wonderful comment...we haven't left the room for a while have we..perhaps going to the store is worth more than we give it credit

      Delete
  25. I checked reality it wasn't nice - you know sometimes reality is sad and painful and I think sometimes that is what locks one in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you are right Truedessa...when used positively dreams and wishes can be the best way to brighten our lives

      Delete
  26. The courage to step outside our comfort zone is so very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is - thank you very much GL

      Delete
    2. We need to ride our bicycles to the moon
      Leave this vicinity of gloom

      One yearns to solve the problem and willing to try out the most ridiculous of ways.

      Hank

      Delete
    3. Oh yes we have tried far more ridiculous ways than riding our bicycles to the moon! Thank you kindly Hank

      Delete
  27. I wish our supermarket had helpful ladies wearing pink badges to shepherd us to the things we need... They keep changing the place where everything is stacked and I can never find anything I want. Explains why I come back home with bags and bags of groceries I don't need :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but wearing the badge doesn't mean they wear a smile and lend a helping hand...which is funny in itself..and we always come home with far too much sugar! Thank you kindly Nicholas

      Delete