Saturday, 13 December 2014

Space

I was nothing more than a bag of sugar
A summer gift never rejoiced

The cat in the floor tiles smiles
Not all good things are born at Christmas time

The jam jars sit pretty on the shelf
Time to peel the labels off
Alice squeals and claps like a lunatic
Fingers sticky until twelve o'clock

In the winter came a bag of toys 
We would have traded them for love

Outside heavy births of rain
Like planets falling she giggles

We pull on the threads of angels
Untangle their wishes and dreams
Let’s hitch a ride and fly into space 
She wipes the jam off her lips
Hyper fix

The milk sits quietly in the fridge

I used eight percent
Our hair still smells like hospital sheets
Let's put our words on the table

Crash bang
The building falls down
The little girl sleeps underground

Fear makes the wolf look bigger 
Grandmother wrote on the wall
She smelt old whispers Alice
Liquorice and linen tucked in drawers forever and ever and ever

I will remember every moment of you 
You will not be lost
Even when time spreads thin
And spins like plates
On top of dwindling poles

A tower of fruit cake stands on the side 
Some kind of crafty endeavour
Ready steady tumble down
Tread carefully 
I say
Like rain
Like snow
Like a summer gift barely touched in the night .

20 comments:

  1. There is something elusively beautiful in this Jae, almost as those secrets of the past were being shared. "Ring a ring of rosey...and we all fall down" was brought mind too. This really is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Old Egg...it was a a bit of a jar of memories...i remember doing Ring a ring of rosey in a huge circle at school - hadn't made the connection...everything sinks into the mind like sugar I suppose

      Delete
  2. Fear does make the wolf look bigger. In fact, too much thinking about the wolf will almost guarantee that he sticks around, growing stronger every day. It's better to feed the mice and rabbits, and make a happy home. The wolf will grow bored and move on to more savory prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tactic thank you Ann...mice and rabbits are smart...i shall follow their lead and keep the wolf at the door

      Delete
  3. Fascinating and nightmarish. I love such things!
    So many of us live with dark fears that we are afraid to share lest we be ridiculed. At least I do.
    http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/12/forever-your-little-loser.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cara - good to see you and thanks for the add...(the great thing about blogging is even if you are ridiculed you don't know or hear ;)

      Delete
  4. Trading toys for love is as futile as trying to breath under water, and yet some of us keep trying, don't we?

    A Tiny Whirlwind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always and forever...thank you kindly Magical

      Delete
  5. Jae this is a wonderful piece. I awoke this morning, snow on the ground, sad and lonely, for the most part I keep that wolf in the pantry, but not this morning, and your piece made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell...we are glad it made you smile...maybe we can help get that wolf out of your pantry and into the woods...s/he will steal all the jam in there xo

      Delete
  6. certainly materials things cannot replace being loved, your theme is heartwrenching, what a wonderfully crafted piece

    Have a beautiful Sunday; i'm happy you stopped over at my blog

    much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Gillena...it's nice to be able to stop by other people's blogs again....happy Sunday back

      Delete
  7. Wolves are a symbol of the teacher, or guide. I have a beautiful black wolf in my personal mythology and he has been both a friend and wise companion. He watches over my thoughts to make sure I don't stray too far off the path I have chosen. I like what you wrote, it resonates with so much of my own reality, and especially love the first about remembering every moment of you.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Elizabeth....I am glad you have a guide and teacher...mine has yet to take shape or form but I am sure s/he will make themselves known when the time is right....what about me says Alice...well...I am sure she will always be there but maybe we both need a wiser guide

      Delete

  8. 'Outside heavy births of rain
    Like planets falling' ~ love so much this line! ~ After big storm the silence often seems as revelation....~ Glad you back, Jae :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does humbird...like wiping the slate clean....good to be here thank you xo

      Delete
  9. Wow...so true...not all good things...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, heartfelt piece of writing, Jae.

    ReplyDelete