You smoked Mayfair’s
I hired a cake tin
Tried to bake it sweet
I will trip skip over the moon
Swallow the flowers whole
That sounds nice sighs Alice
As we ingest our scars alone
The bells got stuck
Like stray birds
Struggling to take flight
They lodged in our throat
Like an old year
Passing in the night
Sometimes there are spiders
Buried in the bed
Wishing
Wishing
Silent creeping
Going to tea with the bugs
Laughs Alice
A little pale
A little plain
All our colour gurgles down the drain
Something chimes inside
Day done
Gone the sun
Find the moon
And eat the stars
We lie on the floor
Expecting something holy to arrive
I hold her hand like the only truth
How far we have strayed
Beyond the spiders
Past the bells
As far beyond
As an old year
Passing in the night.
How difficult it is to look forward when so much of the past clamours for attention. This is especially so at New Year when time rattles our cage. There is always a deeper meaning in your words Jae than the tantalising images you write. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteThank you so for loving it Old Egg...much appreciated...time is a funny beastie that won't stay in its cage...we are old but so very far behind in growing...we do wish you a very happy new year however xo
DeleteThis poem is very rich in meaning and has a great complexity about it. I actually had to read this poem slowly because of the complex connections it makes. The hardest part was trying to understand what you meant with the "spiders." I guessed that the spiders were the fears that we have and take with us everywhere we go. Really nice poem Jae! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your visit and thoughtful comment Kenn...I am sure like many things spiders are misunderstood and certainly in 'our' world are like dark shadows crawling over us...maybe we aren't so much scared of them as reminded of our own fears - as you so rightly observe...thank you for helping untangle the web!
DeleteI think it's in our nature to stray. Most of us are curious at heart. But after our wanderings, we must return to our core truth. No one can wander forever.
ReplyDeleteThat's true...we take ourselves wherever we go...no real holiday from that! Thank you kindly Ann..and happy new year to you
DeleteAn interesting poem ... I really like the "Alice" feel of it ... so hard to move on when the past is so alive ...
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Georgia...she is a good companion - yes the past can feel like a monkey on your back!
DeleteThis year has been full of spiders for me. Poisonous spiders hanging over my head, horrible truths, things I can't do anything to change. Living with bipolar disorder, my head is generally like a carnival. Sometimes I'm high up on the roller coaster, other times I'm in the damn dark haunted house, or the so called fun house, but it really isn't very much fun. This poem sort of reads like the inside of my head.
ReplyDeletehttp://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/12/hidden-treasure.html
I am glad we can share our spiders a little Cara - though obviously don't wish you had to swing between roller coaster and fun house..i hope in time things become a steadier ride for you..thank you and best wishes
DeleteLovely words.
ReplyDeleteThe last stanza is so touching. Old year passes with memories... This is the truth...
Thank you kindly Anita
DeleteWe lie on the floor
ReplyDeleteExpecting something holy to arrive
For all the woes as seen through the year there is the glimmer of hope that thrives. for the coming year. Quite rightly so. Nicely Jae!
Hank
I think and hope so too..thank you kindly Hank - and Happy New Year to you too
DeleteFeel the tears stuck in the throat....but then Alice always near by holding hands, laughing, and hope to overcome the shades-spiders become real...'How far we have strayed Beyond the spiders' ~ Happy New Year, Jae! Thank you for being here in poetic world! Much Love and peace xox
ReplyDeleteThank you so much humbird..we are glad to be here amongst our friends..best wishes to you xo
DeleteI sense eager anticipation here, a feeling that what's passed is the past and the future offers us another chance to get things right. Thanks for all of your inspiring words this year. May I wish you all you wish for yourself in the year to come.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you too Keith - what a lovely way to wish us a wish...happy new year back to you (and Rosey of course)
DeleteI love this! It's fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThank you fantastically Shawna!
DeleteThat fourth stanza is just exquisite.
ReplyDeleteThank you so Mama Zen - good to see you
DeleteI had a whole thing written out about how spiders are a totem for those who choose to write, then lost it somehow when I tried to preview it. Your web of words always intrigue me Jae, setting my mind on many different and fascinating paths. Thank you for that,
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Ah but this is a perfect comment thank you so Elizabeth...wishing you a very peaceful and happy new year xo
DeleteThere are some great images here. I like the line 'All our colour gurgles down the drain' particularly.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much artifacts...
DeleteHi Jae, I am late getting here. This is lovely. I shall make it my plan to find the moon and eat the stars. Happy new year to you.
ReplyDeletePamela ox
Hi Pamela - it is always a pleasure to see you..whenever and wherever..perhaps cake and a small glass of wine or cocoa might be tastier ;) but a fly around the moon is always nice...wishing you much peace and a little more light in 2015 xo
DeleteThere seems to be a place for bears in your write? I think they would like it. I liked it!!!
ReplyDelete