Saturday, 13 September 2014

Observation

I took Alice to the hospital today
We keep secrets
Code see

The withered arm
Concrete body
Jello centred soul

You cannot kill what you do not know

We keep secrets
Words like ouch and anxious

It’s a test
You know 
To hollow us out
To stitch us up
To help corrode our soul

To turn us into fluff
She claps happily
But concrete fluff cannot be blown away
She claps happily

They make us eat 
Soulless food
Dry bread 
Yellow cheese
It makes us gag
Like we are being swallowed

Why don’t we just spit it out
The meal we need is in our bag
We can just eat it
Like we do at home

I look at her
My soul
And I honestly can’t say why 

We just do
I say
Because we are not allowed to be
Because we are not allowed home

They pester us for blood
We turn it into sugar
Spit it on the dry bread 
Screw it up like ruined paper

We are ruined 
I think
Inside
But this is fun enough

I took Alice to the hospital today
We keep secrets
Code see

You may observe us
But you will never kill what you cannot know.

30 comments:

  1. I find this piece a bit perplexing, but I am not sure...the words sound good, but I am afraid you can kill what you do not know...maybe and not even know you are killing. Are you saying we are dying, you see us, you do not know we are dying? Or does it even matter? As always a wonderful write....oxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am perplexed Annell so no doubt that's how it reads...as to what I'm saying...I think me and Alice our protecting ourselves and our souls keeping them secret so no one can steal them...xo

      Delete
  2. The last line is a killer - it pierces through all above it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J Cosmo...I think you just got to the point....thank you very much

      Delete
  3. The jokey way you wrote this belied the horror behind the words. I wrote mine straight, and it is not nearly so effective as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Viv...what a lovely comment..

      Delete
  4. This painted the scary bits so beautiful. I love the tone of voice you use. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karishma..what a lovely way of describing it

      Delete
  5. Many of us who have had their fill of hospitals will have nightmares that will never go away. I am sorry that you too are in this club. But just who cares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people that matter care....and they are always there through thick and thin...thank you a old Egg

      Delete
  6. They make us eat
    Soulless food
    It makes us gag
    Like we are being swallowed
    Why don’t we just spit it out
    The meal we need is in our bag

    Aptly described what hospital food is like! Good food but might make them more sick in fact! Wonderful write Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hank...anything you are made to consume against your will is bad for the soul..food or otherwise...

      Delete
  7. "You cannot kill what you do not know"

    I think that is why some societies still maintain the practise of "secret names." If you do not know my name, you cannot harm me.

    One More Whirl with Basho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite....although you can share it with people you trust...thank you Magical

      Delete
  8. I hope we still have a choice what to eat in the hospital stay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choice in many thing is not always a given..particularly in hospital..thank you humbird

      Delete
  9. Wow. The under current of your poem is horrifying and so true.

    I have to admit though, it pays to have friends in the nutrition department. (Head of our local hospital's nutrition department goes to my church)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to have any friend in hospital..thank you kindly Breaktime

      Delete
  10. For me, your writing always takes me down numerous associative paths and I can meander for days with all the thoughts and memories you bring to the fore. You can never be accused of serving up soulless food my friend, and I thank you for that and this endless feast of images and words. I most heartily agree that what we are forced to consume against our wills is destructive to the soul. Thank you for that as well...

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Elizabeth...for everything...every morsel of understanding which really fills up my soul

      Delete
  11. creepy poem, make you want to avoid hospital. Gee what hospital are they in anyway ;)

    http://thequietone.net/2014/09/13/green-jello/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The psychiatric type - and yep all of them are creepy in very many ways...thank you Cathy

      Delete
  12. The thought of a jello-centered soul.....wow, great imagery to add to the veiled darkness of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you cc I am glad the darkness seemed veiled....I tend to walk around under a black cloud hat! ;)

      Delete
  13. Another Alice ... instead of going through the looking glass is carted down a hospital corridor, dark and fearful ... haunting, I feel like I'm inside the soul of a child ... living through horror and magic, in a world where one isn't anything but a "thing" to be observed, poked and reduced to near non-existance, saved by a secret code, "They" - cannot know ... which saves from being consumed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say anything more than thank you so much for seeing the real picture...thanks Georgia

      Delete
  14. Oh no...what can I say...I'm so sorry this has happened...hang in there....Please take care of yourself .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Rallentanda it's a day one so get to come home at night and play with Alice - thank you though...it's still bloody awful...but I am setting myself a five fuck you limit to each day (not you of course!)

      Delete
    2. Whatever you do don't say in French. It makes people want to kill you ! Chortles !

      Delete
  15. O, Jae, This is potent. I especially love this part:
    "You cannot kill what you do not know

    We keep secrets
    Words like ouch and anxious"

    I can relate to that on a sublime level.

    Pamela ox

    ReplyDelete