Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Drop


We eat orange and lemon
Drops
Let the sugar dissolve
On our tongue
As if it is
Lavish
My face
Aches
Like
A
Dead
Weight
Dangling
On cord
From the post
We see
When we walk
On the iced path
Watch out
Watch out
Cross the road
With your eyes closed
We would like to
Drop
Drops
But we don’t want to fall
It has to be right
Like
Sugar
Like
Orange and lemon
Drops
Rich
Delicious
We eat sweets
Like powder
Hide in our pockets
Sit on the wall
We are so past normal
We are just that
Nothing to see
Move on
If only the world would stop
And see us
Wrapped in our
Orange and lemon
Drops.

40 comments:

  1. Sweet and sour, like life. These two lines are excellent:

    We are so past normal
    We are just that

    The second line intensifies the first in a striking way. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to really enjoy orange and lemon drops but too many and the sugar would start to burn your tongue or mouth...lol
    Love the visuals in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The abrasion on the roof of the mouth was a sweetie hazard.but we still go back for more..thank you Daydreamer..

      Delete
  3. its sad that some people dont see what is beneath the sugar coatings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or don't acknowledge that they do..thank you Sheilagh..

      Delete
  4. As usual I found it interesting..the visual are very strong..Yes I can see..and perhaps hear too Jae..

    RS:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramesh..weirdly interesting I would imagine! That would be j world..I am always glad you can see..and hear.. ;)

      Delete
  5. Is it rreaaallly about prettily wrapped lemon drops..? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevernever about lemon drops Glenn..so well you know ;)

      Delete
  6. The bitterness that we sometimes get in life is transitory, there is sweetness too, only it is sometimes so hard to find. I never stop trying ...being a sucker that is...what else have we got?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying is for the brave..and bravery is transitory too..thank you for seeing the sweet.. As ever..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story around orange and lemon drops ... interesting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Savor the moment and ignore what you can of those who do not appreciate the sweetness of an orange and lemon drop moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't had orange or lemon drops in a long time, but I think we all have cravings for one thing or another. I am trying to stay away from sweets, but I do crave salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cravings are strange at times..maybe it's not always for the flavour but the associated memory..I am sure savoury snacks are healthier than sweeties! Thank you..

      Delete
  11. Wow! What good work. There is some punch to this I don't completely understand but it moves me just the same. Like much of your poetry, there is a world behind this one that feels real for all that I am forbidden to enter it. Not that you forbid me. You invite me. You leave me with mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kind of invitation that bugs maybe! But at least it doesn't require full bib and tucker..thank you..and not quite sure I understand it all either..

      Delete
  12. Oranges and lemons. Sweet and sour.The ratio differing for each individual.
    If only the world would stop and see us.
    I'm opting for invisibility...less hassle:)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice Rallentanda..it does feel like the path of least resistance at times..thank you..

      Delete
  13. Way beyond normal... perhaps each of us actually is. There is a certain safety in creating a self that is outside of the norm, beyond the mainstream threats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safety can sometimes be found up in the clouds it's true - thank you Kim..I guess the difficult part of flying is always the landing..that can be like grit in scabby knees..owy..;)

      Delete
    2. I see you learning to fly with skilled landing gear. I see you landing with no grit, no harm. It it written in the sky. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Lemon and Orange Drops, sounds good...but sometimes sweet things are not good for us? Or things we think we want... disappoint when we get them. That face that dangles from the cord, is that a mask? When we cross the road, and we want to drop, drops, is that to find our way home? What is hidden in the pockets, is it ourselves? Do we really want the world to "see," or is it good to be invisible, with our lemon and orange drops, where we can watch the world go by....if they slip and fall will we laugh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annell you get behind the words in a way that I can't - or can't acknowledge..thank you for that..for picking away to the real story.. x

      Delete
  15. normal is overrated...now orange and lemon drops, they definitely deserve a warm tongue to melt on. I loved the ending, "if only the world would stop / and see us ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it even exists..normality that is..thank you kindly RMP..

      Delete
  16. "So past normal," yes, that's it, Jae. It's about finding your identity and sticking to your sense of self... and accepting that the circumstances can change from time to time, at least that's my experience. I loved this, very fun from you. Sounds like you're in a good place. I'd be a lemon drop next to you any times! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/12/13/speaking-my-mind-real-toads-3ww/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy..nestling up to your side in an orange drop way..I am glad you found some fun..fun with words if not the world..

      Delete
  17. Haven't had orange and lemon drops for years. When I ate them, so long ago, I always concentrated on the lemon, and gave the orange away. I liked the harsh challenge of the former, which, in an obscure way, is perhaps why I chose to live in Finland and not the south of France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha so we do share some lemon drop tendencies Altonian..that is a good thought..and also why I am in Devon not somewhere nice :{

      Delete
  18. Lemon drops... yummy. This is wonderful, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the contradiction at the end - nothing to see here, that is what the world is like, walking past ignoring what makes them uncomfortable, what's obvious. Then wishing that they could see the truth, the sweet and sour of real life. Even sugar coated. Hmmm the sugar in the bottom of the bag is the best bit..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes Dandelion Girl..thank you..remember the bottom of sherbet did dab bags..that was a real treat ;)

      Delete
  20. We want people to see us, but at the same time we hope they don't. The sour and sweet of the lemon drops is a great metaphor for many of life's little contradictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More clear than I could have worked it out..thank you Ann..

      Delete