Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Hammer


I hammer the boots
They were meant to keep my feet dry
But they just hurt
Everything just hurts

They have been fixing the wall for three weeks
It rests in pieces
Around their feet
They tap and hammer
Tap and hammer

The hammer
My hammer
Leaves splashes of hurt
On the boots
Like rain drops

A lot of grey clouds up there
Somebody says
I can’t see them

They are the words
I gather
Out of windows
Behind doors
Stolen by chance
Gathered like bruises
On brown leather

It is too much now
But not enough
The vanilla does not draw me in
Entice me

I settle under the arch with him
As much as either of us can settle
It’s ok ok ok
He has his bottle I have my bruises

This is how it will be always be
We know
That it will never end
Or begin

It is a bitter taste to savour
secondminutehourdaymonthyeardecadedecadedecade

I stuff the boots softly
With the paper
Stopped on the page
I stopped
Maybe they will become gentle
Maybe they will.




25 comments:

  1. People hammering for three weeks would give me a headache.

    So true that some things will never end....or begin. But....at least they ARE, and that IS something.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lines,

    "Behind doors
    Stolen by chance
    Gathered like bruises
    On Brown leather"

    ReplyDelete
  3. JaeJaeJae:

    You keep getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We take the words from wherever we find them. We have to. Great poem, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The message? Some things never change, perhaps were never meant to change?

    Interesting to consider that acquiescence and acceptance might be more difficult to achieve than making the change. \

    I wonder aloud, here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your poetry always ..
    such interesting perception of images around us ..
    this had a lovely end :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. someday the boots will be more comfortable and the past won't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you kindly Mary..happy Wednesday back..

    Thank you Chris..

    Thankyouthankyou Christopher..not at the right things maybe..better that is..

    Thank you Nico..needs must..

    Thank you for wondering at all..thank you Kim..

    Thanks Nimue..lovely endings are :) glad you found it so..

    Thank you Sheilagh..they would be perfect for Canadian winter..the snow would soften them up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This took my mind in several directions; all of them good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A hammering poem ... loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three weeks of endless hammering would drive me nuts. The leather does bruise, doesn't it.
    I wonder if we ever allow life to stop hurting us. Under the arch with the man and his bottle is a very stark, vivid, sad image.
    I've walked in shoes that had holes in the soles and put flat paper in them to cover the holes.
    Maybe in time, everything softens, mellows, Jae.
    Your writing is stunning, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you green speck.. :)

    Thank you daydreamer..I hope softness comes..and I hope you have comfortable shoes..no holes..now too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel for anyone who has to listen to someone else hammer, even though I've been doing a lot of it myself in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. J. your poem has assaulted my senses. I can smell the dust/ the feelings disturbed by this relentless hammer. I can hear
    the beat [down] of the soul by
    this hammer. I can taste the
    fear, and realize how vanilla
    is to weak to save and not even
    desired. And I can touch the words like clouds - just waiting.

    Your mind is is tuned into every
    thing each nuance of life, the
    good and the awful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is so much in this stunning piece. I loved your use of the word decade which as it is repeated I began to read as decayed. I suppose the sadness is in the realization that the habit doesn't help anymore but there is nothing else. Whatever you do don't stop...writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are the words
    I gather
    Out of windows
    Behind doors
    Stolen by chance
    Gathered like bruises
    On brown leather


    ... beautiful, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is how it will always be
    We know it will never end
    or begin


    This struck a chord with me.
    For my part it is definitely going to end...

    Rallentanda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life itself can be harsh and full of hammering. It can be hard on a gentle soul, since there are no escapes, only illusions that come back to bite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Alice..maybe it depends on the spirit of the hammering..hope you built something good..

    Thank you very much Shauna..if only it came with an off switch..

    Thank you OldEgg..yes decayed is the word..will all churn something out..no fear..thank you..

    Thank you very much Laurie..

    Thank you Rallentanda..wishing you positive endings..

    Thank you Ann..bites which clamp down like ferrets..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, somtimes the words seem to be growing in fields, waiting to be gathered...or come to us floating on air without context. We have to get them and put them into their proper place, or keep them safe until needed.

    Spanish boots, of Spanish leather... words from a song... it is the gift that the singer is longing for. I wish she could see what you did with them! I like this fine piece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. About the hammering... enough to drive you "crazy."

    Talk about the words floating in air, yesterday, I heard (perhaps from the TV) "...crazy is not a term we use anymore...after a pause, I don't know why, it says it all."

    These words made me laugh, perhaps to close to the truth. I hope you will also smile, or maybe a little chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "This is how it will always be...it is a bitter taste to savour." these words hit me the most today; maybe it says something of my mood. But quite a beautiful write straight through.

    ReplyDelete
  23. breaking in new boots - hopefully beating them softer. Some things stay the same, some ever changing and they often pinch our toes (and hearts) and sometimes those walls are just a head-ache filled noisy mess (just ask humpty dumpty) - Stuck in word clouds under an arch, I hope for gentleness (and peace and quiet) for you, and sun to burn clouds away and bring warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all..sorry for delayed reply..I am stalled like stiff boots x

    ReplyDelete