Monday, 30 September 2024

The Silent Patient

I was not a silent patient

Whenever the men in suits came 

And locked me up

I screamed and banged

Let me out, let me out

Their eyes were vacant and uncaring 

As distant as the sirens that once escorted me there 

They used to watch me through glass

As I spiralled in my own darkness 

Caring for me remotely 

Except it wasn’t care 

Letting the cameras do the work 

I became a problem 

Not a person 

I have not forgotten 

I still dream, have nightmares, about all the places

I was detained against my will 

Now I am reaching a softer place

One of my own making 

I am still fighting 

But not against the chilly body of authority

I am fighting for my self, my life 

I am finding the light

And it is dazzling 

Rain drops falling as sweet as confetti 

Leaving traces of colour 

On my hair and face 

It is a wonder that I survived 

But I am glad that I did 

How else would I have known that life can be bliss 

And so I sing to myself 

Play sweet tunes 

Create for myself the playfulness of a childhood 

I never had 

I nurture myself to make up for the lack of maternal love 

Hear the bells chiming every Tuesday evening 

Breaking through the clouds 

Each ding a reminder of time lost 

And future and present time that has to be made to count

And so I may have screamed 

I had every right to 

But now I speak up for myself 

Form sentences and write them down 

I am no longer the patient 

I am me and I am free 

And how wonderful that feels. 



For Shay's Word Garden 

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite movies is "Frances" and in it she screams the famous (at least at the time) line "Ya got no right!" As someone with physical issues as a child, I can relate to being in the hands of others (a different kind of doctor in my case) with no way out. I still resent how I was treated like a block of wood, not a person, as you have noted in your poem. But look at you, overcoming all of that and finding purpose and peace in the simplest things. Bravo (or Brava, as you prefer) for the life you are experiencing now. Another poem of yours that I could totally relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you speak up for yourself now, Jae. You ARE no longer a patient. You are YOU. You have a voice. Keep fighting for your life, Jae. You are a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that life is softer now. You so deserve it after so much suffering. I am glad you made it through to where life is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jae, You hit so many universal notes of suffering in this, transmuted through your own pain. The coming out of darkness of childhood into the light is something I can relate to, certainly the lovelessness, and the suffocation. But I hear the notes of light and life, giving voice to self, a clarity of purpose in reclaiming what was lost in the past in the freedom and sweetness of the present. An inspiring poem of joy and hope, Jae, for all wanderers out of the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so many of us have been silenced in our lives. It is such freedom when we find our voices. So happy you found yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you made it to the light.

    ReplyDelete