Tuesday, 17 August 2021

Feathers and Shells

We hold the feather in our hand
It is frail
Like baby bones
We lift it up to the light
The wind kisses our fingers
We see the skeleton lines
It is magical
How they hold the silken skin
We imagine the bird in flight
Struggling 
Then soaring 
Enjoying the currents
Discarding a gift
Just for us
Alice breathes quickly
We have been collecting 
Feathers
Shells 
And leaves
For Dormouse
We will build him the perfect nest
She squeals
We walk back home
Along the grassy path
The patches of green 
Stick to the bottom
Of our shoes
We have a box
For Dormouse's nest
We carefully place the feather inside
It looks majestic
Full of wonder
But we need something soft as well
Maybe tomorrow we will find
Wool on the fence
Or fur from a passing cat
Maybe tomorrow we will 
Have tea and cakes too 
For the tea party 
I would like that very much
She says
We close the box
Happy with our treasures.

5 comments:

  1. The most amazing thing that I only learned recently is that bird bones are hollow to assist them in flight. So miraculous are the workings of nature, it always blows me away. I love the box for Dormouse's nest, and that you placed the feather inside it. Happy with your treasures. This entire poem is a treasure. I took such delight in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to collect feathers, and other treasures, myself. I like the way you describe this one,

    It is frail
    Like baby bones
    We lift it up to the light
    The wind kisses our fingers
    We see the skeleton lines
    It is magical
    How they hold the silken skin

    and where the poem leads you after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one

    Good Wednesday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  4. this has a nice flow, and you tell a vivid story here. it has good movement, pulled me all the way through, i enjoyed this very much

    ReplyDelete