Alice cuts the butter into tiny squares
They shine like marigolds
Under the fluorescent light
What are you making little cricket
A wall
We have walls I say
I want to build my own castle
The butter is melting
It leaves a greasy trail
On the porcelain plate
Alice looks flustered
Her face pink
Her eyes beginning to water
I want to keep the bad man out
She whispers
I nod
You will need stronger foundations
I say
And a place to keep your bricks cool
She rests her hands in her lap
I make some toast
Wait until it shines golden brown
Lay it on the table to cool
As I sit down I see the bricks
They have melted
Alice wipes her fingers on her dress
Looks to me for an answer
My walls will keep you safe too
She nods
We cannot let the butter waste
With a swift move she dips the toast
Into the yellow liquid
I think my castle is quite delicious
She declares
And we smile and feast
Safely tucked inside.
It is unusual to find Alice sad and worried; however the toast helped. Being tucked inside does feel safe these days doesn't it!
ReplyDeleteYou make every detail fascinating. I'm glad she was reassured and both of you are safe.
ReplyDeleteFoundations are nice, but floods of butter are better!
ReplyDeleteAnother exquisite tale .....
ReplyDeleteHey that bad man doesn't have orange hair does he? Lovely poem tender mood !
ReplyDeleteNice one Jae. Happy Wednesday
ReplyDeleteMuch💝love
Marigold butter and toast. Who could ask for more!
ReplyDeleteYes, we all want to keep the bad man out. I love this poem. I can see Alice clearly, wipingher buttery fingers. I LOVE the closing, with its delicious castle, and buttery feast.
ReplyDeleteA delightful poem, Jae, although it made me sad to read about Alice being upset and that she wants to keep the bad man out. I’m glad the toast castle helped cheer her up and she was safely tucked inside.
ReplyDelete