Sunday, 20 January 2019

Hope

The rats tap out a message
Shredded paper and shadows
We are waving not drowning
Hold the stick
Swirl the text
All the letters a jumble
We place candles in a bowl
Shield the light
Soft peach sky
All is gone
A clean slate
We move slowly
Tap out our message
Soak in the bath
We wish for order and peace
What we get is very different
I hold the rats
Their tiny hearts beat
They are love
Nestled in my hair
A new day
A life of hope.

15 comments:

  1. "Their tiny hearts beat." And you are their safe place, their caregiver. I love the beauty of that peach sky. And the freshness of the new day, and the hope, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me smile to think of rats tapping out a message with a Sylvia Plath reference, and I like the sounds created in the line ‘Shredded paper and shadows’. I also like the ‘Soft peach sky’, Jae, and the rats’ tiny hearts beating, nestled in hair. Are they domesticated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Jae knowing that you are a rat fancier and the love that is reciprocated between the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful images of a bowl of candles, soft peach sky, love in the beat of tiny hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't think sweet when I think of rats, but there is something very gentle here, a sense of unconditional welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who can embrace rats is far braver than I!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fascinating and breath-taking poem - so many delicious layers and elements .... I'm held, spell bound in the images

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how the rats can be bringers of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew! That is quite the "bowl"
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting poem, and tge 2nd in a row with rats in it. What's with the rats?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new day - new hope! May this new year bring hope for all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shredded and the shadows images i think of nature through different forms and activities. Nicely captured

    Happy Sunday

    Much💖💖💖love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicest ode to a rat I have ever read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure your poem is wonderful but all I can picture now are rate. Eww I hate rats :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. While I’m sure you had a completely different idea in mind, I kept thinking about my country as I read this, especially when I came to the line - “We wish for order and peace. What we get is very different” and maybe the rats reference took me in that direction too. I loved it. As always, you take a gentle touch to the most incongruent subjects and it makes us look at them from a different perspective. My head feels likes rats are tapping out messages sometimes but I’ve never tried looking at it with love!

    ReplyDelete