Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Well





















Our blanket is blue
Like skies
And muffins
And little pills

We nestle and chew

Contemplating

Feeling blue
Is very different
From being blue
She says

We hold tight
Let the afternoon
Fade and fall
Like breaths

Sometimes painstaking
Sometimes full

Time sticks in our hair
Prayers tidied up
The shop alarmed
I am still a little scared

I wipe my brow

Scattered
Running
Queasy

Sometimes I do not know
If I am rabbit or fox
Mother or Queen

Alice or Jae 

Whoever you are
You are doing very well
She says

Her words glow
Quietly
Like warm sun 
On the minute hand

Rested
Radiant
True

You know
It is quite possible to be 
Both well 
And blue

I hold her hand
For a moment we are still

Thank you
I say
Thank you.

68 comments:

  1. Of course there are degrees of every feeling. Who doesn't like blue skies, they are not depressing. Even glorious sunny yellow can become sickly. Verdant green might make one envious! I think it is best to look on the bright side of life. It's always good holding hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on all counts - thank you Old Egg - Alice feels the same about yellow ☀️

      Delete
  2. I love this part:

    It is quite possible to be
    Both well
    And blue

    and of course, feeling blue is different from being blue.

    Love your reflections Jae~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace - and appreciate the return reflection ~

      Delete
  3. Feeling blue
    Is very different
    From being blue

    Very true Jae! One would have to ensure not to be feeling blue lest one gets to be blue. There is the mental weakness to overcome.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big old obstacle indeed - thank you Hank!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I do not know
    If I am rabbit or fox
    Mother or Queen
    How about the Queen Mother?
    (Chortles and guffaws)

    The warm sun brings a glow...and it is shining down here as well, today and for the next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a thought - would we have to wear a funny hat and carry a hardback with a hankie in... Alice almost choked on her Victoria Sponge just at the thought - thank you Rallentanda.. glad the sun has found you :-)

      Delete
  5. I'd hate to be the rabbit as it's heart matches that of the second hand. I feel the eyes of the predator in the background in this - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie - the eyes are always there.. lurking.. thank you for spotting them

      Delete
  6. I see your watch is also blue, counting the minutes telling the time...rabbit or fox...who can say? And we can be well and be blue all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell - yes we are in a blue watch way.. it's a nice colour :) 💙

      Delete
  7. yeah either feeling blue or being blue, always two sides to a thing..but warmth, glow even if for a minute, it's worth it..."Rested
    / Radiant / True"....i love the play on Blue here Jae...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To steal a film title - Blue can be the warmest colour - thank you very much Sumana

      Delete
  8. The notions of recovery are nicely handled without losing form
    "Whoever you are
    You are doing very well
    She says"

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena - such an encouraging comment

      Delete
  9. "Time sticks in our hair"
    Gosh, yes! But with poems like this to ease our pain, let it stick. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Susan! There are worse things to be stuck in our hair..

      Delete
  10. such a thought-full piece - I can almost hear the watch ticking through the session:
    "We hold tight
    Let the afternoon
    Fade and fall
    Like breaths"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever you truffled out the core - thank you telltale

      Delete
  11. This is absolutely beautiful Jae, I can feel the intensity of the emotions here in this poem especially where you mention:

    Sometimes I do not know
    If I am rabbit or fox
    Mother or Queen

    Alice or Jae

    Sigh.. I strongly feel that Alice is a powerful part of your personality and makes you who you truly are inside. Beautifully penned (as always)

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaa - I think she is too but don't say it too loud unless she gets even bigger than her shiny shoes ;)

      Delete
  12. Love the first five lines and the time sticking in our hair and, well, all of it, actually...especially the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Susan - we are very glad you especially liked the message :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, Jae. I am so deeply touched by this. Sometimes all we need is for someone to not only tell us that it's going to be okay, but that we already ARE okay...in all of our glorious, fragile brokenness. I love the way this spills, that ticking clock, the uncertainty met with assurance. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too De - sometimes we need exactly that - your skies and ocean made us hear that today - thank you for that

      Delete
  14. My pleasure. Blue heals (for me, at least), always. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think it does - even if we can't actually make it to the ocean..

      Delete
  15. Yes. I truly believe that's why we were also given a sky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the "both/and" quality of this poem, because I've sometimes been both well and blue myself. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magical - for both understanding and sharing..a bit like being ok in that church looking out at the tree

      Delete
  17. You know
    It is quite possible to be
    Both well
    And blue...... this is so true Jae; such an emotive read. I did enjoy the I and you form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Julian - from us both!

      Delete
  18. She's absolutely correct
    'Whoever you are
    You are doing very well
    She says' "You know
    It is quite possible to be
    Both well
    And blue"
    It's okay to be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheilagh - we have missed your warm comments..will head over to yours tomorrow xo

      Delete
  19. I am so very glad you and Alice visited us today. And with this marvelous poem. Whoever you are You are doing very well..oh my, yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Toni - we are glad you visited us too

      Delete
  20. a self reflection of who you are, some questioning - some acceptance - it is ok to be on both side of self and blue has a place on either...thank you...bkm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too bkm - reflection, questioning and acceptance are good words to hold onto

      Delete
  21. Clever blend of fantasy and reality in this. And she's right--we are all okay whoever we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of ok for today - it allows both room for error and growth - thank you liv2

      Delete
  22. Jae, I really like this idea:

    "Whoever you are
    You are doing very well
    She says"

    Indeed whoever any of us is is just fine!
    I find this poem of yours to have a very optimistic done
    & enjoyed every line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mary - we don't often do optimism so are glad you enjoyed - thank you :)

      Delete
  23. I found this poem quite touching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hopeful and lovely....I hope you are okay..keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That little bit of reassurance can mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly can thank you (other) Alice and very good to see you..shall head over to Mrs A asap!

      Delete
  26. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sitting here smiling very widely........you are accomplishing a courageous journey, my friend, and remember it only has to be done one day at a time, and one hour at a time. I adore the wisdom in it being possible to be both well and blue. AB-so-tively! I love this poem. So much. And you know why!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love your comment thank you Sherry - we know why and thank you very much for that xo hour by hour,,day by day..

      Delete
  27. It's good to feel well and blue. After all, it is the color of the ocean, it Alice swims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara - that's a good question - does Alice swim - if I remember rightly she may have relied upon an upside down umbrella - shall ask and get back to you ;)

      Delete
    2. Metaphorically however she'd be Olympic gold

      Delete
  28. It’s no surprise, then, that most people greatly value their friends for a longer, happier, more fulfilling life... it’s certainly worth the effort.
    Lovely poem, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Panchali - yes true friends are definitely valued :)

      Delete
  29. "Time sticks in our hair." I love this line...has me thinking. Perhaps you could add a line at the end of the poem indicatingthis is a response to the prompt at dVerse? That way others can find there way to this great virtual pub for poets and join us too!
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lilian - it was good to visit. I will try and add a link - very glad you enjoyed

      Delete
  30. Jae, upon another reading, I am also in love with the multiple meanings in the title. The obvious one, health-wise...and the images that a physical well brings up...deep, foreboding...but also used for wishes. A place once deeply depended on, for survival. I simply love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De you are a gem for coming back - and for showing us the wishing well - of course the one we thought up didn't have lucky pennies in the bottom..more a tentatively edging up from the bottom of an bottomless one - thank you once again we love your findings

      Delete
  31. You know
    It is quite possible to be
    Both well
    And blue

    Yes, one can be well, but still be blue..some of us are blue more often, but perhaps we are robin egg blue or sky blue or blueberry ripple blue, depends on the day and the hue I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does thank you Truedessa - blueberry muffin blue is our favourite ;)

      Delete
  32. this picks at the emotions, very well done, more often one can be well and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was looking forward to reading your poem on this theme, Jae. And it did not disappoint me... Our worse predator lives in our head and the easiest prey is our soul. We have to fight hard and be "blue and well" in order to resist the predator and protect the prey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you so much for visiting and leaving such a thoughtful and insightful comment - thank you very much Nicholas

      Delete
  34. Yes indeed it's possible to be both blue and well.. love this..

    ReplyDelete