She counts them
One by one
A spire
A thumb
She looks up
Our blessings
It doesn't take long
She giggles
A little bit stuck
A little bit silly
In bed
In a head
That will never stop thinking
Unless
Well you know
Keep counting
She smiles
Please welcome to the stage
Electricity
She courtesies
Raises her petticoat
Dances a little
We don’t deserve the tag
Vile
Vain
Vindictive
Of course not silly
We do the best we can with what we have
We rest a while
Under cream sheets
Like ice cream
Or soft seas
The fish jump
The sun is sinking
We will be here forever
I think
You know that bird
She whispers
It could have fit through the bars
All along
She crunches and munches
Strawberry tarts
With extra jam
The spoon shines
As she swallows
One by one
Everything tastes nice today
Don’t you think
I swallow pinecones
Hand
Under
Hand
Look at what we have done
A spire
A thumb
It doesn’t take long.
the line..i swallow pinecones strikes a dire note. A layered poem... wonderful Jae.
ReplyDeleteThank you thotpurge - jam tarts would be nicer for sure.. Thank you!
Delete"We rest a while
ReplyDeleteUnder cream sheets"
Oh, I am also grateful for the soft and restful creamy things of life that are there among the hard things I swallow!
What a wonderful way of putting it - thank you kindly Susan
DeleteLoved the flow of the poem. Sweet and tender. Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThank you Purba
Deleteouch...from cream sheets, ice cream, soft seas to pine cones!!...the trail's so known to me...sigh.."We do the best we can with what we have" the only option....
ReplyDeleteI think so.. Step by step..day by day..thank you very much Sumana
DeleteDoing the best we can with what we have is often a blessing in disguise, don't you think?
ReplyDeleteI think so - and appreciate you pointing it out - thank you Mgaical..wise as ever
DeleteWe do the best we can with what we have
ReplyDeleteHell yeah. In everyday life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich. Beautifully executed.
Lots of love,
Sanaa
Thank you Sanaa - it's hard to always appreciate the way the scales tip...but we should be thankful of a good many things - absolutely
Delete"We do the best we can with what we have"
ReplyDeletethat is so me. :)
Thanks James - it's good to see you again - and I've heard that's a great skill to have! :)
DeleteI see entirely too much red around her mouth.
ReplyDeleteI think you see entirely the right amount thank you (other) Alice - you know us well
DeleteThank you Sheilagh - and hopefully those days become a little easier too xo
ReplyDeleteI've not been around much lately. Holidays and things - you know how it is. I'm going to Africa tomorrow. Rosey wanted to come. I said no. Everything tastes nice today, don't you think?
ReplyDeleteNot too bad all in all - well..it is bed time..always a blessing..good to see you back Keith - Alice understands all about adventures.. J stays at home a lot..you know - safe travels.. Alice says can you bring back a lion.. And she says Rosey should definitely go...think of the disas....I mean delights!
DeleteI love the way you begin and end with the same lines. I especially love the lines about the bird having been able to fit through the bars all along. I remember when I felt like the cage door was actually open and I still did not know how to fly out...it took a while, but when I did, oh! that sky!!!!!!! Not fair, that Alice gets the crunchy jam and you get the pine cones............I enjoyed this one, Jae Rose.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sherry - of the Blue Skies - we will await our flight knowing that someone very special got through those bars too.. and Alice is a bit of a treat magnet - but she deserves a little jam xo
DeleteAlice dancing on the stage doing the can can is a first. What have you been eating? (Guffaws.)
ReplyDeleteCaged comfort is hard to leave if you are not a risk taker.
Too much sugar probably Rallentanda - well, you know.. we are all slime and puppy dog tails really.. oddly we take risks but within the comfort of our cage.. we are indeed curiously antipathetic creatures - thank you ;)
Delete" Our blessings
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't take long
She giggles
A little bit stuck
A little bit silly"
The stage has long ago been set to entertain us in whimsy and wit absurd. Today again i applaud and bless you my friend
much love...
Thank you Gillena - and all our blessings back to you xo
DeleteWe do the best we can
ReplyDeletewith what we have
A sane advice which is a savior to those patient enough to fall back on a strength within oneself
Hank
Thank you Hank - not often we get called sane - much appreciated!
DeleteDespite there being millions of us we all live in our own little world not understanding others or them us. This however does mean that those of us who are different are looked on with troubled eyes lest we rock the boat. I love how well you write of your world Jae and how you and Alice seem to eat the best things...no humble pie for you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Old Egg - what a thoughtful and wonderful comment - humble pie sometimes comes on the menu but moon and tars and dreams taste better - we share it with you always across the miles
Delete