Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Believe

















A leaf falls at our feet
We are playing in the garden
Hide and seek

We don't have a garden
Shh
It's make believe

Then Dinah and me
Will come to tea
She smiles
Clattering the cups and kettle
It hurts my head 
Sharp and smart
As a kitty cat swipe

Tea shouldn’t be sadistic 
I moan
Neither should breathing 
She mumbles back
Busy on her mission

Checkered cloth
Victoria Sponge
Warm milky tea

She sits by the tree
Scowls and scours
Trying to find
Her story 
This is curiously familiar 
Don’t you think

We chew on feathers
Shoot up stars

Blue looks pretty 
Wrapped around a can

Like the very best ribbons
Or big bright birthday balloons

She giggles
I breathe in

High is a bag full of cymbals 
Shh
Only a grown up would know 

We lie down 
The grass is thick
The high is low 

Tired
Dreary 
Old

We should let Dinah
Chase it 
She’s a very good hunter you know

She sits up
Swallows down the cake and tea

Noisily
Like mummy 
Not me

I wipe my brow 
Sweating out the flat line

She wipes her dress
Brushes off tentative 

If there’s nothing at the end of a chase
There is very little point in starting it at all

Maybe
I say

A light shines from her fingers to her toes

In my world
You wouldn’t say ‘meow’
You’d say 
‘Yes, miss Alice’

I catch the leaf
Which falls at my feet

Yes, miss Alice
I say 
Smiling

Yes.

38 comments:

  1. Wow! "This is curiously familiar
    Don’t you think" Brilliant! All the ways this is hide and seek with a hunter and one who must be found (including a make-believe garden)--and then remembering Alice's sister reading to her under the tree when Alice chases after Dinah. Gosh. So then
    "If there’s nothing at the end of a chase
    There is very little point in starting it at all"
    is not at all curiously like the Cheshire Cat's comment when Alice asks directions without knowing where she is going "Then it doesn't matter which way you go"! Glorious poem on its lightest and deepest level. Your depth as a writer knows no limits. Full of "cymbols." HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - Alice is very happy to meet a fellow Wonderland adventurer.. She especially clapped when you mentioned the cymbals - j is thankful the riddle was up to scratch - phew! Thank you very much

      Delete
  2. How I loved all your references Jae. What an entertainer you are in your poetry, inventive and humorous but with that curious feeling of sadness too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg - we tried spinning plates..it didn't end well...Thank you for always seeing both the light and dark

      Delete
  3. Oh Jae i see there is company on the home front today with the naming of Dinah; tea for company and a good chase

    "If there’s nothing at the end of a chase
    There is very little point in starting it at all"

    i agree in every life there is purpose 'good poetess' a good Wednesday to you



    Mine is here
    Miss Pretty


    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena - Miss Dinah and Miss Pretty - we will be over for tea shortly :)

      Delete
    2. Smiles

      😄💞😄

      Delete
  4. Your poem, like all of yours, is so filled with layers of one truth or question after another. Your lins always make me stop for a moment to peal the words and get to the feelings. Lovely work Jae. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myrna - you have got to the centre of those layers I think - our brain is like a universe size onion...never ending ouchy layers of thoughts..thank heavens there is tea..and poems for a small break at least

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you see purpose and that you can smile.Keep on smiling and find some more joy in nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheilagh - we will try our best :-)

      Delete
  6. "A light shines from her fingers to her toes" ah...this makes the make believe garden into a real one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumana - I hadn't seen that yet..thank you for lighting it up

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this poem so much, smiled all the way through. LOVE "Tea shouldn't be sadistic. Neither should breathing." Cackle. I loved the "This is curiously familiar, don't you think", too. LOVE the smile at the end. And we don't know what's at the end of the race, only know we must run. Towards brighter days. This is one of my favourites of your poems, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - for the cackle and the light - yes we will keep on shuffling - though perhaps not straight for the light just yet at least.. Thank you xo

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Meow says Alice which I think means thank you kindly Miss Moon ;)

      Delete
  9. Such a homey setting for a torturous tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i need to have tea with you (other) Alice - you always know - thank you for that

      Delete
  10. I am pondering the chase without a point at the end. I think I will be pondering that for a while. Until the Cheshire Cat smiles again, I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to make you ponder Magical - imagine Chasing the dragon but further down the pharmaceutical trail? Does that help.. Thank you and sorry we are a puzzle..

      Delete
  11. Love this poem ....great images... a couple of cats chewing on feathers , shooting up stars at a sadistic tea party is my favourite LOL...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh hadn't thought of it like that - Alice is brushing off our berets and hunting down the Gauloises- thank you Rallentanda :)

      Delete
  12. Does a make believe garden have make believe weeds?

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many great lines in this! I particularly like "Tea shouldn’t be sadistic."

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much to contemplate here, Jae, in your varied lines. I too like the idea that tea should not be sadistic (ha, especially in England).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - us Brits are good at moaning over our cuppas though yes..always good to stop before it hits sadistic ;)

      Delete
  15. I did feel a bit of wonderland here. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If there’s nothing at the end of a chase
    There is very little point in starting it at all

    Yes, it would have been a wasted effort if nothing comes off it!
    Very much so Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Tea shouldn’t be sadistic" This might be my favorite line of the day. Perhaps, the week. Jut perfect. And so Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magaly - sometimes Alice gets it just right xo

      Delete
  18. Good to see Dinah feature rather than the more predictable Cheshire cat... This had such a nursery feel to it, Jae, although the sinister was never safely hidden away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to see Dinah feature rather than the more predictable Cheshire cat... This had such a nursery feel to it, Jae, although the sinister (as always) was never safely hidden away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nursery's can be quite sinister so I'm told..we certainly wouldn't want to be in that cradle in the trees - thank you Nicholas

      Delete