Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Wed

















We make powder flowers 
On the bathroom floor

She loves me
She loves me not

Blood cells move 
Behind my eyes

The crackle of bandages 
Lighting the night

Bigger than niggles
Less than woes

Like washing up bubbles
Soaked in jelly tots

The sun casts a shadow behind us
We are big and small
Light and dark
All at the same time
She squeals

I grimace
A shadow is proof of being
I do not want one

She chews her fingers
Fearful
If I go
She goes 

Everything is strange
Nothing is right

What is your name she asks
I don’t have one
Everyone has a name silly
A-L-I-C-E
She wipes the letters on her lips
Like the sweetest candy
And the highest fix

A name is something to hang onto
Like the string
On a balloon 
My ballon is red
See it flies above me in the night 

It’s not real 
None of this is real
I rub my skin
Sometimes I do not know the terror that engulfs me
All I know is that it will never leave

What a curious union
She giggles
Pretty when the lights are out
I can't disagree 

She loves me
She loves me not

We make powder flowers
On the bathroom floor.



56 comments:

  1. Alice is so happy keep that part of you alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A name is something to hang onto
    Like the string
    On a balloon
    My ballon is red

    For some reason these lines struck me the most. Some say what's in a name? But I believe that our name is what distinguishes us from among the rest. And when two names become bound together for eternity; there is bound to be some magic. Beautifully penned :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaa - for me your name is a smile and the unmistakable :D and your picture..I think..j and Jae have yet to find their expression..thank you

      Delete
  3. Terror and being is a curious union, indeed, yet it is more often the reality than not these days. I think of refugees and those trapped in war zones and want to divorce terror and living so living can remarry to hope. It feels impossible, and there is no where to hide. And here, you show that existence inside one person, show the confusion and one means of survival through the strength of your images. I found this one particularly moving:
    "A shadow is proof of being
    I do not want one"
    WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - it never feels justified having a war zone in your head and tiny being but existence can be - I appreciate your understanding - and sorry I think I've missed a couple of your poems whilst hiding in the bunker

      Delete
    2. Actually, I've been on retreat and not here very much at all.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a hard week, my friend. I was glad to see that red balloon of hope up above. I echo Sheilagh. I'm glad Alice is there. And we are all here, too, rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - sometimes the hard years all catch up with you in the space of a day (which becomes a year)..I am sure you know..I am very glad you are all there..thank you xo

      Delete
    2. I always chuckle when I hear that expression
      " rooting for you" Rooting means fucking in OZ lingo. Although I suppose that activity could take place, in the spirit of support for you, Jae. ROFL

      Delete
    3. Your pain is palpable. What is needed here is a complete change and turn about of everything and it is not going to come from the medical professionals because they lack insight and spirituality.I know you think it is impossible to do it and maybe it is..but you must keep on fighting and planning somehow to change things for the better for yourself, step by step. I am constantly doing this...even though my chances are slim...at least if you keep trying you have some control over your existence. If I can do it you can do it. You are much stronger than I am...I know this because I know i could never have survived the room 106 (or whatever it was) or the hospital incarcerations.So I reckon you have a good chance. Go for it.

      Delete
    4. Sometimes a good rooting is helpful - and if it's in the name of lost souls...knock yourself out - thank you for your comment as well Rallentanda..and you are right..on so many things. I am not sure if surviving hospital is strong or weak..you basically roll over and have to forget who you are..and i still hang onto the system that put me there - and fucked me over - sigh...i hope to have the courage to follow your lead..even slim chances are better than none..thank you and thank you Rall :)

      Delete
  5. "A name is something to hang onto
    Like the string
    On a balloon"

    Love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Zen..lets hope it flies for some time yet

      Delete
  6. "We are big and small
    Light and dark
    All at the same time"...a curious union of the black and white, that's what we are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..if we are brave enough to admit - much appreciated Sumana thank you

      Delete
  7. You got me going to Jefferson Airplane for this poem Jae
    "One pill makes you larger
    And one pill makes you small
    And the ones that mother gives you
    Don't do anything at all"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie - haven't heard the song but will seek it out - found a book called 'one pill makes you smaller' by Lisa Dierbeck with an Alice (of course) she gets around..unlike me! Thank you

      Delete
    2. That's one of my favorite Jefferson Airplane songs.

      Delete
  8. Oh how we little girls love to play wedding. It doesn't turn out exactly how we expect it to, does it? :)

    Love these:

    "Blood cells move
    Behind my eyes"

    "We are big and small"

    "It’s not real
    None of this is real
    I rub my skin"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Em - I played Cowboys (on my own..Alice wasn't there then..) was rather partial to a pop gun or two...I think they could make a wedding turn out pretty interesting

      Delete
  9. She loves you. I know she does. You know she does.

    My 3WW tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith - someone has to ;) I think I know

      Delete
    2. By the way, sorry I sent to to London with my original incorrect link!

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed the detour - the colours cheered me up thank you

      Delete
  10. Wonderful! And these words are brilliant - She wipes the letters on her lips Like the sweetest candy And the highest fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danny - good to see you back on the circuit

      Delete
  11. I see a contemplative Alice making powder flowers. Poor little imaginary friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should be out playing in real flowers..thank you Alice....I will leave her be when I sleep at least

      Delete
  12. Jae,
    I was struck by a sadness in this poem. Loves me, loves me not..A game of chance especially when fear seems to be taking control..Stay safe.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen - yes the sad has come to stay..i guess like all visitors it will move on..thank you

      Delete
  13. How graphically you paint the scene Jae. I am sure we all have an alter ego like Alice. They can be ourselves from an innocent past or the future us of who we would like to be free from life's turmoil. Very effective writing one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea thank you Old Egg - particularly the future version

      Delete
  14. A wee bit chilling as I read it, Jae Rose. So easy to live in illusion and to search for love in all the wrong places. (pardon the cliche)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a cliche at all - the truth - which is always worth being reminded of. Thank you Victoria

      Delete
  15. I simply loved these lines
    "A name is something to hang onto
    Like the string
    On a balloon"

    You always thinks diffrent and uses some unusual wordings that bring charm to your verse.

    Be positive...definitely she loves you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PT - especially for the last line

      Delete
  16. As always you have done it again! All twisted, and tangled, and all so clear. The flowers in your garden are already coming up....it must be spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring has sprung on the bathroom floor! Thank you for seeing and bringing light Annell...as always xo

      Delete
  17. Anything bigger than niggles and less than woes receives my affirmation and affection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We very much appreciate both - thank you Magical

      Delete
  18. Ergo - I think I am says Descartes. But someone here does not want a shadow, does not want to be. How sad. How wise is Alice. Who known so much about names and balloons.
    Wedded or juxtaposed. This is quite an interesting and thought provoking poem

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena - je pense donc je suis...yes and thinking can be the very undoing of that ;)

      Delete
  19. The light-hearted feel of this contains within it a kind of creepy element! Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy is certainly one way of describing us - thank you Carol

      Delete
  20. 'We are big and small
    Light and dark
    All at the same time' ~ so true, good to see it, esp. as the flowers started to show up at your home... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope we find flowers...thank you kindly humbird..and for the hug..please accept one in return

      Delete
  21. An indissoluble union, then? But not, I trust, to be dissolved with too many pills, which would be a bit drastic. It seems you so often achieve harmonious co-existence; surely that is a good thing? And yes, love for each other; why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is indissoluble Rosemary - even when we are ready to move on - which is the great thing about imaginary things i suppose..and yes..usually a good thing - thank you kindly - and love your new smiling profile photo :)

      Delete
  22. This is the antidote to all the pink and rosy stuff on Valentine's Day. A tribute to the real lives we have to lead and the difficulties in maintaining relationships. Powder flowers on the bathroom floor lured me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgina - yes i think the truth can often be found on the bathroom floor not the rosy stuff on the Valentine's shelf..but good to only play powder flowers..

      Delete
  23. Your magic with words and the kind of pictures you create lives on Jae.. Missed reading your fabulous poetry.. God bless!!!

    RS:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramesh - good to see you back - and love the photo :) Hope to visit your place soon thank you!

      Delete
  24. Like Alice we all have our powder flowers to resort to when the hurt is just to much to bear... Made me sad, this poem. To think that someone could be wed to such pain for a such a long time. Even powder flowers won;t make it go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And therein lies the trap which leads to sadness..thank you for your insightful comment Nicholas

      Delete