We silently cough up
Silver clouds
Run
Jump
Kiss the moon
Did they say we are troubled
She asks
Swinging on the morning bells
Frayed rope
Last hope
I spray stones in the old tin bath
Touch the water
Dream of oceans
Sail away
From the mist
The grist
This
Well that sounds silly
She reels me in
As she always does
Pokes the crevices
Squirts the blood
Look you are scarlet
Just like Queen
She giggles
Haven’t you had enough I ask
Never
She says
Playing leap frog over sugar lump jars
Why did the cow jump
Because he dropped his favourite spoon
She comes down
With a bang and a frown
Fire in the hold
All hands on deck
Don’t forget the water hose
We sit on the floor
Hold hands
Regroup
When do you think it will be better
I ask
When the final pear
Drop
Drops
I can’t be cross
She wipes her lips
Swallows
Perhaps when the threat is outside
Not in
She thinks so hard
Her forehead frowns
We hold our tummies
Lie down
Two little seeds
Left to rot
In barren fiery ground
I have had enough
I say
Too much sugar
Up then down
It’s really very tiring
We close our eyes
Silently cough up
Silver clouds.
Frayed rope
ReplyDeleteLast hope
I spray stones in the old tin bath
Touch the water
Dream of oceans
Sail away
From the mist
Beautiful lines Jae, we often associate the ocean with joy and sorrow while we build our dreams upon them. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights :D
Lots of love,
Sanaa
Thank you Sanaa - yes..the sea is elemental..even if we are not by it we can feel its force..thanks for hosting too!
DeleteThe pace of this piece of writing was frenetic to say the least Jae. The humour too is infectious and I particularly liked "When the final pear, Drop, Drops" together with with the "Silver clouds" which will surely have silver linings too.
ReplyDeleteI hope so..at some point..yes we are on a bit of a sugar rush..not sure if that's good or bad :~ thank you kindly Old Egg..
Delete"Haven’t you had enough I ask
ReplyDeleteNever
She says"...that's what she is , an unending source of energy like the ocean itself...
Put that way around I am glad she never has enough - thank you kindly Sumana
DeleteWe close our eyes
ReplyDeleteSilently cough up
Silver clouds... sounds very peaceful after the mad rush of all that came before. Fun read
Yes..strange but calm I guess! That would be us...thank you Debi
DeleteEvocative words... :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Maniparna
DeleteThis says it all, I think:
ReplyDelete"Perhaps when the threat is outside
Not in"
Thank you Shawna - yes..the truth of the matter indeed
DeletePerhaps when the threat is outside Not in... then it will finally be better...well said Jae!
ReplyDeleteoh we hope and hope - thank you thotpurge
DeleteI love the image of coughing up the silver clouds... But it's always the landing that hurts the most, so I guess even bliss will become painful, because we see the ground below. Love to visit your site...
ReplyDeleteNot the fall the landing - yes indeed and reality is the hardest concrete pavement...and we love your visits too! Thank you very much Bjorn
DeleteToo much sugar
ReplyDeleteUp then down
It’s really very tiring
True enough! Excess sugar can cause tiredness and make one lethargic! Great ending Jae!
Hank
Thanks Hank - sugar is one of the many things we should cut back on!
DeleteI enjoy these - I don't understand them, but that doesn't seem to matter.
ReplyDeleteThank you Marilyn -- i think that's just so ;)
DeleteYou have such a way with imagery and natural dialogue... I can see everything happening in the poem, the expression on their faces, the sugar and the moon... Wonderfully penned...
ReplyDeleteAnd we are very glad you are there with us - thank you Magaly
DeleteTwo little sailors adrift on a far away sea....perhaps it is a green boat...and I think of Lear....and the Jumblies. Mostly a fun piece...which includes a little darkness.
ReplyDeleteYet I hear the two little girls giggling and laughing, long after 'lights out.'
Was it a pea green boat? Must look up that reference..I am glad there was some giggling on the waves..thank you Annell xo
DeleteThese two are always trying to find their way through the ups and downs of life. A sugar high always leaves one exhausted. "When do you think it will be better" that is a good question...perhaps the answer is to live in the now then past pain will disappear and tomorrow hasn't brought any pain yet. Just me pondering.
ReplyDeleteThat is very wise and sound pondering - very much appreciated Truedessa
DeleteAh, sometimes it is good to sit on one's hands a while and regroup, I think! Better than making rash decisions......
ReplyDeleteYes - I think we do that a lot...being impulsive little critters! Thank you Mary
DeleteI love your writing you have such a way with the images you create with your words, you get to end wanting more. Great writing!!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much...we hope we have a few more words left in us..
DeleteFirst, love the photos, candy looks yummy...I think I taught myself to have fun only looking at the picture...lol ~ thank you also for the idea of regrouping....~ hope, those clouds can dissipate when we smile... hugs!
ReplyDeleteYes the candy jar is almost too good to eat! I am glad you enjoyed it humbird - sweetness is always better shared - thank you
DeleteSo that's why the cow jumped! All this talk of pear drops and sugar lumps. Cough drops is what you need. Sweet!
ReplyDeleteHector's new motor car!
Cough drops and a hell of a lot of therapy! Thank you Keith..maybe tomorrow we will get a fisherman's friend ;)
DeleteYou've reminded me of a very old joke which I couldn't possibly repeat here in case Alice is hiding behind the settee!
DeleteNo holds barred here Keith - she is over a hundred and has the vocabulary of a sailor...plus I did wonder if the title might evoke connotations of prostate exams for my male readers so go for it!
DeleteOh Jae ! "silently cough up silver clouds" Terrific
ReplyDeleteThank you Pearl - very good to see you too
DeleteWow. "We silently cough up silver clouds.....Kiss the moon....." I love the cow jumping in your poem, and like the mental leap from moon to cow. The kernel of truth Alice always hits upon in each poem: "when the threat is outside not in." You have a very intelligent little sidekick there, kiddo. I can hear the being tired of the ups and downs. Yes, they can be exhausting. That fatigue often leads to letting go. On the other side of that lies peace. Been there, done it, my friend. I hear you making this journey, ready for that leap. It is rather exciting.
ReplyDeleteI trust the path you have been down Sherry and hope too that the other side comes..and soon I hope as well..thank you kindly xo
DeleteI always feel like I'm with you and Alice, talking about surreal, real issues and things, hoping it will get better soon. But, doubt if your writing can get any better. It's already so magical and perfectly woven.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely comment Myrna - very kind of you and made me feel better thank you
DeleteAnother amazing poem from the battle ground, Jae Rose. I particularly like the two little seeds rotting on the ground. How is it they can exhale such clouds with silver linings? Neat.
ReplyDeletei am not sure - force of will maybe! Thank you very much Susan..and yes..definitely on the battle ground
DeleteToday I find myself emersed in the wit of cow and spoon. Frayed rope took me to Cliff Hanger episodes and I see the Queen emerged. Who's in control now. The silver clouds I think are just awesome a note to end on
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed Sunday
Much love...
Let's hope the silver clouds are in control...thank you kindly Gillena
DeleteOne of the characters in the book I am presently reading says that the threat is always from within. The contrariness of being an imperfect human being. I have a tendency to agree with him. We either deal with it or we don't and that is the only choice we have. And when we do, we create those silver clouds. But clouds are transitory things, pulled hither and yon by capricious winds. They come and go and all we can do is enjoy them while they are here. You always make me think and I thank you for that. Hugs to both of you,
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
And you always explain my thinking..or attempts at thinking - i think he is right too..at the moment i think i am in between the sky and the ground..not quite sure about the clouds..or hanging onto them..thank you Elizabeth - and hugs back
DeleteProfound answer to the question about when do you think it will get better....deep sadness and insight in the answer, too. Your imagery, though, is stunning, as always.
ReplyDeleteThank you C.C. very much appreciated
DeleteBut how enticing, the silver clouds!
ReplyDeleteI often think you understand my poems profoundly, which I appreciate; I believe that's because of what you display here, the ability to go so deep into the reality of imagination and symbol.
Thank you for such a lovely and affirming comment Rosemary...the feeling is mutual..and i hope to get on that plane one day - even if the joy is in making the trip not expecting a destination
DeleteI spray stones in the old tin bath
ReplyDeleteTouch the water
Dream of oceans
Sail away
From the mist
The grist
your words always makes me sway...
Thank you PT - a little sway never hurts now and again
DeleteI too especially like 'I spray stones in the old tin bath" - this poem has more sounds in it than usual but still filled with brilliant imagery and conversation
ReplyDeleteThank you telltale..i think my senses are in overdrive...could be the sugar :~
Deleteoh, that's so much activity and running around down there! trying to burn off the calories?
ReplyDeleteIf only! We only excel at dream running thanks ds ;)
DeleteI love the light-hearted whimsy of these lines, how they seem to leap and flow from one to the next at a speedy pace.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kerry..it was a bit of a leap and a flow...surprisingly really..always nice not to get tangled up in the promot words too much -- thank you
DeleteWonderful cadence and word "notes" in this piece - it begs to be spoken aloud.
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy - I don't think I'd be brave enough but Alice may give it a go ;)
DeleteYes - I was just thinking what WB said, that this would be lovely read aloud - there is so much sound in the poem, lyrical and rhythmic - and such symbolic meaning. I've read it several times and still don't think I've caught everything, but it's delicious ... as well as so profound and deep. Really superb.
ReplyDeletehttp://soundofthewordnight.blogspot.ca/2016/02/under-threat-of-dreams.html
Thank you so much S.E. much appreciated
DeleteInteresting piece of writing
ReplyDeleteThank you Anusha
DeleteWell that was a real treat :)
ReplyDeleteThanks ZQ :)
DeleteThe lines have a lovely lyric quality. There's also this sense of sweetness that soon will be lost that comes across.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way of putting it - thank you Rommy
DeleteLots of imageries to like here Jae. I can still feel the positivity about not getting tired of the situation the characters are in.
ReplyDeleteThe firt few lines are delicious poetry. Those two little seeds line is a bit poignant though.
Good to read you again, Jae
Thank you very much Totomai - I suppose Alice always keeps it buzzing! And very good to see you back on the trail again after your travels
Delete