We are a mixed puzzle
A book
A phone
A long lost hat
The car sleeps under the black stray cat
How do we know
We are
Because we have a heart beat
She whispers
Lubdub
Lubdub
Two little girls in a dunking tub
I have to check
Time must not dangle
So many rules
She sighs
If I was a gem
How precious would I be
She asks
Lying on her side
Hair drizzling over baby bird elbows
I don’t have the backbone to answer
You are cobalt blue
She squeals
My favourite colour
Forever and ever
I hug the wall
This is me sober
Want to see me fall
No one came Alice
Only the people in grey suits
Who wrote our story
With a company pen
They got it all wrong
Of course
She smooths her hair
Tried to make us cheap
And nasty
We are
A picture
Of a picture
On a wall
On a wall
A distant star
Circling the moon
But still shining
She says
Quietly
Shh
We drop
Like a penny in the night
He used razor wire
To staunch the flow of blood
How perfectly silly
She says
The silver warms against my skin
See a penny pick up
A shilling is even better luck
Is that the phone or the moon
We are in a state aren’t we
No
We are feeling
We are
We are
I hug the wall
This is me sober
Want to see me fall.
Jae you show us that inanimate objects can represent so many realities and sometimes become friends. The wall might be scored with rivulets of tears that have merged with its own. If only the wall could speak for us...
ReplyDeleteI think it speaks - to those who perhaps know and can listen..thank you for seeing..and hearing Leslie..much appreciated..
DeleteI hug the wall
ReplyDeleteThis is me sober
Want to see me fall.
I somehow feel the wall acts as a pillar of strength when we feel as if we are about to fall. Beautifully penned!
Lots of love,
Sanaa
Walls and floors can be very grounding - yes indeed..thank you very much Sanaa - and for the cup of happy
Delete"I have to check
ReplyDeleteTime must not dangle "
This for me is the most interesting line today, for i understand Alice who though she defies gravity is cognizant of the importance of time and seasons
much love...
That she is - thank you very much Gillena
DeleteWe are
ReplyDeleteA picture
Of a picture
On a wall
On a wall
.... that really made me sad...what a line!
Thank you thotpurge - much appreciated
DeleteIt is interesting to think that the objects we have kind of tell a story of who we are.
ReplyDeleteA book -- can tell a lot about someone's interests
A phone -- can tell a lot about a person's contacts
A long lost hat -- for church? for sports? for the sun? for warmth? for fashion?
A picture -- of who? of what? painted or photograph?
Indeed it seems one's possessions are kind of a mirror for who we are!
Thank you Mary for bringing that mirror to life! Much appreciated
DeleteEvery time I read one of your poems, I come away shaking my head, wondering how you do it. Mostly, I am filled with wonder. As I am now. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Magical - what a magical comment!
Deleteyour wall is quite a comfort in its reality - I like the pictures you hung on it and the soft touches of humour that emerge in your dialogue of rhymes
ReplyDeleteThank you for seeing that comfort telltale..I'm glad there is a drizzle of humour too!
DeleteWOW! One of your best yet, and that is saying something, as your work is always brilliant. What struck me most: "this is me sober. Watch me fall." " We are feeling", and, especially, "hair drizzling over baby bird elbows", the grey suits who get the story wrong, and that distant star circling the moon. Wow. This is a breathtaking write, my friend.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for such a generous comment Sherry..very much valued :)
Delete"If I was a gem
ReplyDeleteHow precious would I be
She asks"....she is already a gem sprinkling life to everything around .....and i love these lines "We are in a state aren’t we
No
We are feeling"...
Thank you for seeing the sparkle Sumana
Deleteyou won't fall but if you do we'll be there to pick you up. Your poetry always stuns me with vivid images.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sheilagh - we are life's stumblers but are very pleased to have people there to pick us up
DeleteI like you sober. Don't fall.
ReplyDeleteThank you Alice. I appreciate that greatly
DeleteWhat a delight to read your work and be mesmerised by your words that flow so fluently from your fingers Jae. You certainly have a gift that touches your readers. The sadness and fear of the men in grey suits is masked by the scenes you paint with such humour.
ReplyDeleteIf hospital teaches you anything it's how to maintain a poker face..thank you kindly Old Egg...
DeleteThere are so many layers in this poem. A wonderful read :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Purba :)
DeleteJae Rose,
ReplyDeleteJust love the image of 'the car sleeping under the black stray cat.' Fabulous with its serious side and the interludes of the bizarre...
Eileen
We do do interludes of the bizarre quite frequently don't we - great turn of phrase - thank you Eileen
DeleteHi Jae, I can detect some past personal events in your poem then the fantastical inclusions of Alice and other wonderland whims and plays, it makes me in awe of your talent of mixing the personal with the magical and it all makes for unique art and talent. Lets not forget the syrupy flow of words. Wow!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your perceptive comment James - yes maybe the personal sang louder than wonderland this week..but we always like syrup - thank you!
DeleteAs always I am mesmerized by your writing. I am awed by the vivid and original images you paint. Unlike some others, I can't pick a favorite line. Just loved it all.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much - very kind
DeleteA distant star
ReplyDeleteCircling the moon
But still shining
One gets the feeling how lucky one can get if one is to continue to move around looking for opportunities
Hank
It's all about keeping moving however hard I think thank you Hank
DeleteI wonder from where you get all these thoughts which are woven into so perfect verse
ReplyDeleteI simply admire your writing style!
Thank you so much PT - sometimes I am not entirely sure either!
DeleteI love your opening and this reversal caught me by happy-surprise:
ReplyDelete"The car sleeps under the black stray cat"
I love the bit about cobalt blue, too...reminds me of my mother for some reason. I don't know - maybe that was her favorite, too.
Thank you for this, Jae...your poem feels bright...like in a way that brings light.
Thank you too Hannah - I am glad there was a happy surprise and hopefully a bright memory too
DeleteThe men in grey suits who get it all wrong...dangerous and scary. Necessary to give poker face responses ,regurgitating preconceptions to fit into the required boxes...fitting nicely into the text book bible.
ReplyDeleteWe are in a state aren't we
No we are feeling
What?
Feeling?
The text book specifies this as socially unacceptable display of hostility
You are only as sane as your psychiatrist deems and we already know that they are mostly disturbed to a greater or lesser degree.This, the best reason for staying sober and not to fall so you will never have to go near one again.
I'll have to go and have a cup of tea now..it's too early here for these reality shots:)
Rallentanda I raise a cup of tea to you..thank you for chewing over my reality shots..truth..genuine emotion.. there is no place for that in the health system..i hope i get the ovaries to run to the hills and never look back at some point - maybe even shouting a loud fuck you all from the summit
DeleteYou do that... When you reach it,dont be surprised to see a strange old bird up there with a megaphone doing the same thing. LOL
DeleteI will bring a picnic with me ;) and maybe it's not us who are strange!
Delete"If I was a gem, How precious would I be".
ReplyDeleteLove that!
Thank you J Cosmo - do you think a nice glass of red counts as a gem ;)
DeleteIndeed, a mixed puzzle! How do you solve jigsaw puzzles mixed together? Very slowly! I like the contrast between that mix and the picture on the wall and the picture of a picture. Quite the little puzzle here!
ReplyDeleteYes - we had our puzzle hats on for sure - thank you kindly Susan..good to see you and hope the teaching is going well
DeleteAmazing what these three words have sparked!
ReplyDeleteA lucky strike maybe - thank you Leonard
DeleteMy fave are the beginning 'We are a mixed puzzle
ReplyDeleteA book
A phone
A long lost hat..." plus the pic you choose, - all together they set the classy scene perfectly...see your characters like in long cartoon rooms....one after another....and so on....cool!
That's a great visual - the old fashioned cartoons where it feels like you're turning a page - thank you humbird
DeleteI just had to smile when cobalt blue was mentioned! My fave colour too :-)
ReplyDeleteWe're in good company then! Thanks Nicholas
Delete