Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Out





















We write help in invisible stars
No one will see
Until the lights go out

You are quite the little apocalypse today aren’t you

Be prepared
I learnt that
Pin and paper
In my pocket
A shiny penny
Just in case

The world can be vengeful you know

We live in a blank garage
With a red dividing line

Boom boom boom
Faster than a rocket

Off we trip to Kansas
That’s funny 
It sounds the same
She giggles 

Do you think I leave anything to chance
Welcome to my savage design

We can huff and puff until we lose our mind
Fuck 
It's lost already
She lights a cigarette
Lies back against the pillows
Arm behind her head

Ten years disappear in one inhalation
All the tension drained
Like blood
From her stomach

You are quite the little immortal today aren’t you

Always
She says
Poking out her tongue

The town dies in black and white
The burning sun left years ago

I don't want to buy a skyscraper
But I wouldn't mind a castle
She mumbles through the cigarette
Hanging off the corner of her lip

It’s all just the shutdown of electrical activity in your brain
I’ve seen it many times before

Time ticks on the fluoxetine clock

I always thought we were troubled in a light and carefree way

Like pixie dust
She laughs

Exactly

Dematerialise
Diminish
Dismantle
Disconnect

Maybe I would like to wear a dress

Star
Syrup 
Sugar
Loss

Just why are we eating an orange
At the kitchen sink

I don't know
I don’t remember anything 

We look at each other and laugh
Fall through the bed
Write love in invisible stars
No one will see
Not until the lights go out.


47 comments:

  1. Oh wow... These lines really pack a punch: The town dies in black and white
    The burning sun left years ago....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange to imagine immortality when life sucks...not much point then is there? Loved your Wizard of Oz references and your last stanza is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Old Egg - yes miserable immortality is probably worse than brief happiness..i am glad however we departed on some kind of up note

      Delete
  3. Those colour references were quite jarring and violent, highlighting all the more the starkness of your description of a less than perfect life... Well-penned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nicholas - less than perfect is a diplomatic way of describing things - thank you- shall remember that one

      Delete
  4. The cigarette smoke adds just the right amount of hazy to the equation today.

    Few people are thinking today with the lights on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I think that may well be the case...thank you Leslie...hazy equations seem quite frequent these days...

      Delete
  5. Wow. The lights will go out, so it is good to have HELP / LOVE ready to enlighten the world. Your cigarette line Stopped Me Cold as it describes 37 years of my life! I always knew these two were gods in an existential view of "No Exit"--a negative image of heaven! Scary, but from out here it also looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - we hope for a cool here on out! Smoking seems such a visceral/visual prompt to things which may ail us...some gods are best left behind perhaps

      Delete
  6. Do you think I leave anything to chance
    Welcome to my savage design

    So true, there are a lot of people in this world who would rather design their own path in life than leave anything to chance.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rightly or wrongly i think that is certainly true - thank you kindly Sanaa - sometimes however it would be good to have someone help set you on a less painful path

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Time ticks on the fluoxetine clock"...may be healing is very close, the sun will live again and colors would pour on the towns...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We write help in invisible stars
    No one will see
    Until the lights go out

    Jae, I couldn't help but focus on this stanza. It seems like a great opener to your poem that comes with an image of rays of light in a window. To me, that is like a design of how the Second Coming of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ would be. And as predicted, you wrote next: you're quite the apocalypse today aren't you? this has aesthetic value to me and I applaud you for it. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James I am so glad you found a positive resonance in the opening...perhaps through different eyes light can be found - and enjoyed...thank you kindly

      Delete
  10. it sounds like you've found some happiness hold onto that with both hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is there will try my best to - thank you kindly Sheilagh

      Delete
  11. I, too, most loved "we write help in invisible stars"..........and love the way you began and ended with those lines. I'm a little shocked - is that our little Alice with a cigarette in her mouth? No, it cannot be! I am also struck by time ticking on the fluoxetine clock. Great lines, always, from you, Jae Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you as always Sherry - she deserves the odd cigarette I think she is stuck with me...probably better to have a break from the sugar too ;)

      Delete
  12. The starting and concluding lines were so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, powerful sensuous dream I call it!Lovely lines...Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Panchali - i wonder if it is all a dream after all

      Delete
  14. I have a difficult time imagining Alice or anyone really enjoying smoking anymore. That one inhalation draws away so much life...
    Whether smoke or not, we all have moments of haze...falling into stars and hoping for love.

    Thank you for your visit - I hope too that the girl with the crimson hair is truly safe. :) Monroe is nice a nice guy anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules - maybe we all find a nice guide to help us along the way..i think as with most things the cigarette might just be let's pretend! Thank you kindly

      Delete
  15. I get such an expansive feeling from your poetry lately, as if the powder has turned to star dust, even if Alice is still giggling. Maybe it's the inhalation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so Alice - I am glad we have an expanse - thank you kindly

      Delete
  16. Such a visually striking piece. I especially love that line about life being essentially a blank garage with a red dividing line. Poetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you vey much Matthew...yes it is a rather empty room..

      Delete
  17. There is a very nice flow to this poem..rolls easily. Reality is painful and it can be the demise for some people if they have too much exposure.You have the key. You said it yourself.Think your way through it. Falling through the bed with Alice sounds like fun. I might try standing on top of the bookshelf falling on and through the bed LOL !If it doesn't work I'm holding you responsible:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rallentanda..there are certain rolls (off the bed onto the floor for example) that we can manage quite effortlessly...all the other stuff..maybe not so...be careful falling through the bed...and of course...always resonsible!

      Delete
  18. Invisible stars are everywhere. Why not write on them? Love your thoughts. I felt your poem go downward in mood, then somehow lift again towards the end. I loved the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are an up and down kind of mood people! Thank you kindly Myrna...i am glad however we found some kind of lift off!

      Delete
  19. Really like the last stanza, Jae. Writing love in invisible stars sounds so very romantic really..even if one falls through the bed in the process. And the light of the stars will never go out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mary - I think the celestial stars are the best ones to be believed in!

      Delete
  20. Such a lovely thought...no one will see, until the lights go out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell - and hopefully even then it will be the kindest people who truly want to see xo

      Delete
  21. I love the fourth line and the invisible help written in stars...all a journey...excellent, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A journey with slight turbulence but that's all part and parcel I guess - thank you kindly Hannah!

      Delete
  22. 'Do you think I leave anything to chance' ~ the best thought and intention! We're designers! and it's so important to shine light on the Love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you humbird - I guess we are even if our subconscious takes over that design - love wasn't my first choice for that parting verse ;) thank you kindly humbird..light and bright to you xo

      Delete
  23. "no one will see until the lights go out" - pulls the whole wonderful poem together!

    ReplyDelete
  24. where love is hidden, there will be misery and pain

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well worth the read... thanks.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete