Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Ultimatum


I eat off the spoons
Of dead people
Sleep on the sheets
Of those who have bled
The food tastes of nothing
The sleep
The sleep
Is not real
Nothing
Every muscle aches from waiting
Ultimatum
Run or die
Run or die
They say the spoons and sheets
Are saving
Me
And yet
They do not know
Me
I destruct
Destroy
Decompensate
Quietly
So very quietly
In room 27
Thinking
But
Not
When you are nothing you cannot think
But it is the only thing left to do
The thoughts are discounted
On top
The lank hair
Of the man
Who does not feel
As he squints and watches
This thing
Die
In room 27
How clever you all are
Give yourself a round of applause
She is alive
On the outside
Like a carnival trick
I used to write like the mirror
I was not stuck within in it
Blood churns upwards
Into throat
Coming out
Burning
Red
In the bowl
Where ants and mayflies dance and gorge on my disappearance
Like you
You
Fuckers
Murderers
Rapists
Smiling as you drain me dry
Ultimatum
Always
Run or die
Run or die.  

33 comments:

  1. first two lines are a real shock to the system but a totally original thought. I do like how your words stick in my head and make me think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dandelion Girl..hope they don't stick around for too long though ;)

      Delete
  2. you do not die you survive and in that you defeat them You live your life and find joy and defeat them.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best goal to have..thank you Sheilagh..

      Delete
  3. Oh, goodness, Jae. Your strong words are so powerful... knocked me off my chair. Hope everything's okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie - things could be better but i am still writing..so that's good..

      Delete
  4. This was really powerful. You have quite a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Room 27 is so bitter. Run! Run so we can hear more from the living-inside-and-out you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run indeed..i will miss both my Alice's - you (and pocket Alice) when I can't blog for a while)..we will be back as fast as our sore little toes will carry us..

      Delete
  6. So strong, the sentiment. No mistaking the anger and resentment. No misunderstanding the need to be elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - funny how anger and fear can sometimes generate absoulte clarity..thank you Kim.. x

      Delete
  7. Wow, it doesn't seem quite right to say "i love it" about a poem that's topic is so morbid or complicated but.. I do love it anyway! I mean, I really read emotion in this poem and that's what artistry is all about. Let's run, Jae Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running with you Aprilific..thank you..

      Delete
  8. The words are poignant, powerful, cutting but they are wrong, there is no-one more alive inside than you to write such words as these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a brutal one, Jae. Brilliant but brutal. I hope you took a lot of artistic license!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there must always be a little however real it feels and pours out on the page..thank you Ann..

      Delete
  10. I think I'll run Jae into that carnival trick box where nothing goes wrong and all things sort out ultimately!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like the old British Navy.Sailors who could not swim were thrown into the sea...they either worked out how to swim or they drowned.My grandfather told me this. He could swim....so can you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rallentanda..like Pincher Martin I am just floating on the surface at the moment wondering whether to take the boots off..or leave them on..

      Delete
  12. Now then Jae. On your mark, get set, GO! Run like Hell, and keep running; and keep writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are primed..thank you Altonian..the best way to run is slowly..the faster you move the more people notice..we will creep..creepily..cunningly out of this..shh..and thanks..

      Delete
  13. Your feelings are expressed so strongly in this poem! I hope Room 27 will be history soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary..it just depends if the next room is even worse..sorry i haven't visited you for a while x

      Delete
  14. Dear Jae You write of things most do not know. You speak for others....you say you are stuck in the mirror, maybe that is a safe place right now? The most important words are, you are alive, you have your own thoughts, you will beat them, stay safe.....hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell..especially for the hugs.. x

      Delete
  15. Awesome...simply awesome...I have read it 5 times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Grizz..that's beyond the call of duty..very much appreciated..

      Delete
  16. The carnival trick box beats Room 27 every time, Jae. The only part of this I didn't like was when you refer to yourself as "nothing," and you know what I'm gonna say about that:

    YOU AAAAARE SOME-BODY!!!

    And a fabulous somebody at that. The visuals were disturbing right around the bloody mouth section, but hey, that's what happens when you fly with the good poets, right? Love you. Amer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOOUU Amy.. floundering but trying to let the words still flutter around..hugs back x

      Delete