Sunday, 10 April 2011

100 Doses of Powder

The little girl holds her daddy’s hand.
She wears a black and white check dress.
They are going out for dinner.

I ate my way out of the purple dress.
And I didn’t have a daddy who held my hand and took me out for dinner.

We did not break bread.
I fill the hunger left behind with a hundred doses of powder.
Funny how I can stomach the swirl of powder but the spin cycle on the washing machine scares me. Leaves me spinning in confusion. Befuddled and lost.

I am no Dorothy.

My shoes turn red with blood. Not fancy plans.

The sun has come.
The boat with holes floats into the middle of the water.
I ask the man with no teeth why it is there.
He tells me the tide is strong even though there is no wind.
We smile at each other. He says be lucky. I say you too.
He shouts out wanker.
Not at me.
I guess you can’t trust words once you lose them.
Once conversations are only kept at the bottom of a Lidl bag. Exchanged with passers-by. Like receipt slips rotting under dog shit and fag ends. Evidence of that thing you really wanted but now forget.

The church is closed on Saturdays.
The thick door keeps me out.
I would like to put holy water on my neck.
I would like to look at his feet and watch the candles.
Red and blue.

I clutch my box of cereal and walk in circles.
It’s not so bad.
Just a day.
Just another year.
It will go.
And at any time I can reach in my bag

and and and

We all know what.

I walk until the blood seeps through the second layer of padding in my shoes.

I eat a bowl of cereal and my heart races.
I don’t believe I will ever stop eating.
I will never find a dinner that fills me up.

Of course it’s not in a box or a can or a supermarket.
It’s in a big, warm hand and a neatly ironed dress.
A dress they gave you because they thought you were pretty.
Not because it was the only thing left.

I lie on the floor and listen to the little girl and her daddy chitter-chatter.
I try to feel.
Like the little girl can give me her seven and I will forget mine.
It does not work.
They drive away in the shiny black car.
I roll up on the carpet.
Waiting for the sun to fall and hide the holes yawning in my teeth.

34 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Jae! You rock words! Your unique combinations are like fireworks going off in my brain! And the emotions you convey are heart breaking! The image of the little girl on the floor at the end will haunt me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm out of town for a week, but wanted to be sure and read your work , Ms. Rose! Glad I did. You've created an epic tale of the elemental need for the most basic of things... unconditional love. Well-written with imagery that jumps from page to mind(Lidl bag, blood-soaked shoes, dresses in several hues) and inferences to loss and loneliness that wail with heartache. So good to read you, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Linda - such a compliment..thanks so much..

    And thank you so much Kim for checking in whilst on holiday..I am glad you came by..hope you are having a well-deserved good time..unconditional love is a pesky thing isn't it! Enjoy your time away and I am flattered you took the time to visit..thanks as ever..

    Jae :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, there's so many images here! Love the bit about the Lidl bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is really deep with so much more packed inside it. Those hundred doses of powder have taken their toll and there is no way out of the pit and the little girl's seven would be a starting point possibly if only she could wipe out and forget all of her years of substance abuse. What a treasure trove of agony you dish up to us each week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Andy..

    And thank you OldEgg..treasure trove..like those memories at 3am but more bitter..maybe in time there will be little side-salads of hope and happiness..thank you as ever for getting right to the marrow..

    Jae :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a deep hunger you portray--the need of every little girl, to be loved by her dad, to be told she is beautiful...how well you make us feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much trauma Jae; you really must get back to that chiropodist and get well enough to walk away from it all. Your words grip the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lilibeth..and Altonian..will do! now the summer's here you can even learn to walk without shoes holding you back..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds tragic. And the way you string words the picture becomes even more powerful. You so brilliantly portrayed an emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Hazel..very kind..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, all caught up! I am not a bad interweb friend!

    All these doors, I think it means something in the underlying topic that weaves together over the past week. The dichotomy with the young girl and older woman seemed to start things off with a heart heavy tone and carry it with long strides to the end.

    May the sun never set on you, my dear Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'It’s in a big, warm hand and a neatly ironed dress.
    A dress they gave you because they thought you were pretty.
    Not because it was the only thing left.'

    Very tragic words...I sympathize for this person that did not receive the one thing us humans really need- parental love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You reached inside a befuddled mind with perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very powerful piece. I had to look up Lidl. Love their logo. Also love the fact that what we call an eggplant is called an aubergine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very powerful reach into the depths of darkness and raw emotions. Provacative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You break my heart so bad each time ...
    what a stunningly sad imagery ... whoa !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yearning for something but can't go backwards to get it. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What I love about your work is the depth in an apparently light and breezy convo way. I love it when words run deep and when statements hold more than just one meaning. You keep me coming back and you make me wana re-read ur post before commenting :) good work jae!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Leiffy - you are a fine 'interweb friend'..yes doors and windows..like all gloomy teenagers I took my highlighter pen to Kafka and twenty years later they are still bloody there..on the plus side I haven't turned into an insect..although all those legs help you run away..hmm too much sun on Jae's head not a good thing..

    Thank you Abigail..it's the most precious thing that's for sure..

    Thank you Rinkly..

    Thank you very much Reflections and LadyNimue..

    Thanks Linda - you can never have what wasn't there to begin with..but perhaps you can make it for yourself..

    Jae ;)

    Thank you Jerry - there are so many words that change as they cross the pond..Lidl makes Walmart seem like Harrods..Jae ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Warm Sunshine :) Glad you keep coming back..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sad and tragic yet your words are so beautiful at the same time.
    'I try to feel
    Like the little girl can give me her seven and I will forget mine' - how I wish she could - such deep, wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Kylie..Maybe all those wonderful stories at school made her seven a little better though :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This has such a boiling, brewing undercurrent-- it drags me under effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jae, I am in awe of the way you turn yourself inside out and allow every crevice into your poetry. This daddy/daughter relationship poem, which morphs into so much more... well, I'm crying, I'll tell you.

    Lovely, harrowing, astonishing work. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/maybe-now-pa-npwm-11/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Amy..but sorry to make you cry..yours made me :) Jae

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. One powerfully packed poem! I need to go back, savor, and reread it but wanted to thank you for this outstanding post.
    Meryl
    http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well expressed feelings of a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sad and moving, I need to reread as well, there's so much more to read, that's there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am no Dorothy
    there's no place like home...
    even if home if just a place in our minds, but even lost and befuddled, you have the voice of the lion and the heart the tin man wanted and most assuredly the brains of the scarecrow :)

    I like the guy yelling wanker. I like that he tells you to be lucky. Luck is a great thing. I think that once we lose our words they float around out there and become new things to those who read them and take them in filtered through their own perspective. I had to google Lidl bag - same as our walmart sacks lol - I always picture the U.S. after the day the world ends - a huge pile of rubble with walmart sacks blowing through what used to be streets...the line about things you rally wanted but now forget certainly fits that.

    I want to take a huge hammer to that church door - church doors shouldn't keep ANYONE out.

    "I will never find a dinner that fills me up" - the child who needs the big warm hand and neatly ironed dress, to be cared for...a dress chosen especially for.

    I would give you ruby slippers - every woman should own one pair of red shoes at least once in their life :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Meryl, Tarang and Christine..

    Apologies for the delayed thanks..have been offline for a couple of days..

    Most apprecitae your kind comments..

    And thank you Dee - It stands strong..that sense of getting sucked into the tornado..where carrier bags are whipped up in the wind and you don't know quite what you need to fill them..I have similar apocalyptic visions..As get older I think the desire to rummage through those empty bags seems futile..I would get through that door somehow and sit still with some water..thank you for the ruby slippers...gratefully received..

    Jae :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jae, so flowing with so many levels. I particularly love the line 'I guess you can’t trust words once you lose them' It shows me a very real relationship with writing and words which seems so natural in your work but is so hard to capture for so many...you have a gift mate :) Cynthia x

    ReplyDelete
  33. There are some really powerful images and ideas here. I really like "My shoes turn red with blood. Not fancy plans."
    And, kind of unrelatedly, your British?

    ReplyDelete