Wednesday, 17 November 2010

The Walker

I clutch the bag. It is with great delight that I am leaving this place. It is 1.30 am. It takes me a while to find my bearings. I was sleeping on the bathroom floor. Fully clothed and ready to go. I have been sitting in the dark planning an escape route for ten months. Ten months of waking up every hour through the night. Confused. Sweating. Hoping that all of this is a bad dream and I will come to in my real home. But I know there is no other place than this. That’s what made me sweat. You can’t shake off the concrete reality of where you exist in this exact moment. Not completely anyway. The green pills helped. They made the man who spat in my face nothing more than a blur of beard and raincoat. It is odd. Endless nights spent in the dark puzzling and I now feel more comfortable being spat at than smiled at. There is a young girl with long hair in the library. She always smiles at me as I hide behind the books. It makes me want to cry. Don’t be nice to me. It might make me feel. I pretend to read the words. Really I am just there to hear the sound of voices. Children singing nursery rhymes and the click-click of the scanner over the bar-codes. Sometimes I see my face in the glass doors or shelving units. It startles me too. It’s not surprising people spit or smile. It was without question that I needed to be re-defined.

I don’t know why I am taking a bag really. Just some clothes and a few wash-things. I don’t expect I will need either but I feel the need to carry something. Makes a woman look more purposeful. As if I am really off to greet that husband and son I lost. I expect after a while I will ditch the bag. I won’t need it any more. I will become as invisible as the paving stones that will eat me up and carry me away. I won’t need a dark room to hide in any more. The whole world will become my dark room. I will become one of life’s walkers.

I shut the door. Leave the man upstairs pacing and the woman across from me screaming. I put the keys in the outside lock and sellotape the note I have written to the door ‘THERE IS NO NEED TO FORCE ENTRY. I AM NOT HERE.’ When they come in to scavenge through my belongings they will find the plastic ID card and my documents on the kitchen table. I will leave it up to them to shred me up and consign me to some government dump. I am disappearing without a trace. With a new face. And I cannot tell you how happy I feel.

27 comments:

  1. I really got into this piece. I like how the character simply dissolves into the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you..dissolve is the perfect word - wish I'd thought of it! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sad story but a very good one . I can relate to it , and here I thought I was the saddest story lol :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jackie - your poem was very touching..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. green pills and blur of a beard are fab. a strong piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dripping with, "being there".

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a powerful piece. Well done.

    Oh, you mentioned that you hadn't seen a limerick in awhile. I might add that I do limericks for 3WW every week. Feel free to stop by and get your fix of any of the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Michael, Gautami, GLN and Tony..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jae Rose.. I read it in a flow.. smooth..serious..sad.. but finally a happy freedom clutched delightfully .. well done..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not the reason mentioned here, but i still will want to be invisible for a little while .. A griping post !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don’t be nice to me. It might make me feel. and ... so many lines, ALL your lines, you write with such a perspective and get it absolutely right every time ... just Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What makes me a fan of your work is the way you use short sentences to assault the reader. And I mean that in a very good way. The shortened structure moves the reader through at a frenetic pace, and it's just such a treat for me, it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with what Thom said, you do have a way with the short sentences. They are like daggers jamming in over and over with your thoughts. Not in a bad way either, it is the constant pressure of these wonderfully crafted words in my brain which I enjoy! You nailed it again, as I knew you would!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is interesting that ThomG says you assault the reader. I personally feel helpless, needing to help, comfort, reassure but knowing all that is hopeless. You sneak in an explanation about the husband and son that are lost to your subject but even that is not enough. All we are left with is that hopeless reality of helplessness...and that hurts.

    Once in a while I would love you to sing a song of love in your writing despite the brilliance of the other!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nicely done!!! No wonder I love ur blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Masterful writing, again it is evocative and laden with unspoken stuff, I find myself trying to piece together a wider story so at to ease the tension. Great stuff Jae! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all very much for your kind comments and for keep coming back to read..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  19. So dark and yet, hopeful. ThomG is right: the short sentences rush you through the piece and make you feel the anxiety. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jae, though this is sad but as always a delight to read :)

    http://highlycontradictory.blogspot.com/2010/11/if-you-really-are-happy.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Jae Rose 22 comments , you followers are sure growing. One of which I am proud to be. You write so powerfully, and make me feel and recognize in myself a part of you.You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Divaa - and Linda - yes, I am amazed too that I have more followers. Pleased though! Nice to hear from you..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry Monica! Didn't spot your comment first off..thank you also..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, what a story... intriguing and mysterious yet almost familiar.. i like the new face happiness...

    ReplyDelete