It was nice. How he turned around and asked me if I was alright. A real antidote. I looked behind me expecting to see a straggling dog or child. I couldn’t quite believe he had noticed me. I smiled. Me? Smile. I’m fine thanks. Thank you. Smile. Maybe it’s odd to be cradling your head against the railings on a winter’s afternoon. Not as odd as other days. But he hasn’t seen them.
It is too cold now to sit on the wall and count out loud. How winter makes my heart fall. That I may have to sit still indoors waiting for the hours to turn by. If I can’t leave the house by 9am I get stuck. Wondering what it is what and where I should go. As long as I keep moving then all such questions fade and fall and my feet and hands sink back into their own obsessions. Shop. (Clockwise). Apples. Milk. Bread. Wine. Maybe one of the chocolate bars by the till that play into your impulses. If I take one it is a plan. There is no room in me for impulsiveness. With impulse I lose hold of the railings and fall.
Nothing in this life is random. ‘John the Immortal’ believed that you die only because you make the wrong decisions. Almost choose it. I wonder if he thinks that now he is fifty.
I carry on with my walk. Think about what would have happened if I’d said ‘No. I am not alright.’ But that isn’t inside me. How can I explain that I left the building because the neighbour was laying out her underwear on the stairs and shouting through the letter box. I had rehearsed what I’d say to her. Ran along the lines of ‘fuck off’. But I can’t carry that off without shaking and I know if she sniffs out fear she will ring my doorbell for hours. Best to keep walking until she gets cold and goes in and puts her clothes back on.
All these things hang in a fog above me. I tried not to learn their names. Tried not to recognise them on the street. But they have seeped into my world. As unwanted as smudged ink on paper inscribed with carefully chosen words. It seems impossible to scrub them away now they are here.
But things fade. This winter is not last winter. The things that make me hold my head against the railings are the same but somehow different. These people will at some point become old characters in a story. Immortalised like John but not actually there. Eventually I may even forget them.
That makes me feel better as I come home to warm my hands. At least today I can think of the man who noticed me standing alone in the cold. I may keep him in my story.
It certainly helps to know that someone genuinely cares. It's not the whole answer though is it? How can you purge those demons that niggle at you at home, on the stairs, in the street and even in the supermarket?
ReplyDeleteAnother stunning piece of introspection Jae. I will always come back for more.
Thank you OldEgg..always good to hear from you too..Jae
ReplyDeleteYou always make me question when I read your work and I love to be immersed in your stories. You are truly an amazing storyteller.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lisa..Jae
ReplyDeleteQuestions bouncing around like the head on asphalt when we slip on ice, missed making that step a careful one. First thought wondering if anyone saw and hoping not, second thought hoping they did and might help one back up... Nice write.
ReplyDeleteHi Reflections - yes, looking for help is a double-edged sword..just like slipping on ice..Jae
ReplyDeletethe beauty of an encounter with a stranger is that they have no idea what has happened to you previously (earlier that day, last year, ten years ago). Thus every day is a new chance, tabula rasa. There's no need to be sullied by ghosts and past history. The stranger who asks if you are alright is concerned with your welfare at that exact moment. And you get to make the choice as to whether you allow him or her further into the web. I am a big fan of your writing :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Wendy - I love the idea of tabula rasa everyday..wise words..Jae
ReplyDeleteAh Jae, you keep impressing me with your works! I loved this piece, exceptionally turbulent and yet almost freeing. Even John the Immortal would be impressed! Thanks for sharing my dear, you can always give me some inspiration when I am feeling anxious about writing in general!
ReplyDeleteHi Leiffy, we must have crossed comments again..I fear John the Immortal may be simple old John by now..thanks also for writing stories that take me outside this little place..Jae
ReplyDeleteI love that last line... It's as if you honor both your own feelings and yet can let in the sweet energy of another. This is the dichotomy that makes life so amazing - and you've managed to capture that quality brilliantly.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you write. Every word compels me to continue and at the end I want more. I always hope your writing is not reflecting your inner feelings. I want you to be happy.
ReplyDeleteJae,
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful storyteller. I love this.
Pamela
Bravo, bravo!! {clapping!!}
ReplyDeleteA friendly word is antidote to all sorts of woes!
ReplyDeleteI'm new here.
ReplyDeleteThis was an interesting read. This, the the last several other posted writings.
Thanks for sharing your world.
........dhole
Thank you very much to all - and to GS - thank you, that's very kind to say..Jae
ReplyDeletea kind word really is an antidote isnt it, especially if you can squirrel it away to look at later - well written as ever x and in answer to your question, yes i finally have an allotment - I am going to do it with my husband and five of our friends :) by the way, are you on facebook? Im here if you would like to connect: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=664876570
ReplyDeletestrangers indeed,, they are the only ones that you have no past with. I never know what i will find when i "click" on you site, 'cept always a good thought provolking read. You have a talent that I hope you realize is a strentgh for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Alice - and good luck diggin in this weather! (thanks also for the Facebook link) Jae
ReplyDeleteAnd also thanks to GLN - I always think I do the same thing over and over so it's good to hear! Jae
You are a great story teller!
ReplyDeletefallen
I love, love, love reading your stories! You are a fabulous writer... telling just enough to draw me in, but leaving room for me to relate within my own life. Superb!
ReplyDeleteI agree with GS I want you to know happiness so I hope it's all fiction. I want to tell this girl that shutting the world out isn't the answer and that there really are nice people left in the world. There is a better life waiting.
ReplyDeleteThank you Gautami, Heliotropism and articles :) Jae
ReplyDeleteI had to re-read the previous entry after I read this one...and then the one before...and the one before...and yikes! It's time for me to leave for work. You are certainly an intriguing writer.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lilibeth - hope you made it to work in time! Jae
ReplyDelete