Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Good

Once half becomes normal. One becomes all. It consumes you. I didn’t notice the changes at first. But there are moments. Moments when I feel my brain trying to work. Moments when I can see how easily I will become the man at the bus stop in piss-stained jogging bottoms smoking paper. Oblivious, if not proud, of stinking. Of falling from existence. At first I didn’t accept being here. I protested ‘I don’t belong’. Nobody believed I was scared. But I felt fragile at every noise. Every commotion in the hallway. Every policeman climbing the stairs. It is not the place that scares me. It is the dead end of my being that is stacked in every beige brick. But it soon becomes normal. It became home. There is no other place left to go. If only I could click my heels three times and be somewhere better. Now it’s three swallows and the place doesn’t look so bad. But it is not right. The uneasiness is rampant within me. I want to scream like the lady next door screams. This is not what was meant to happen. I am not supposed to be like this. But there is nobody left to hear. Screams fade down the hallway like cheap lager flushes down the pipes in this building. That is the cruellest trick of my life; that I have made every good thing disappear. I killed hope. The one thing nobody could steal from me. That is the torture most deadly to my existence. I killed the good in me. I was once a good girl with bad thoughts. Now I am all bad and I am so consumed I cannot stop the tremor. One turns to two. Two to three and three to four. Then they find me in my pissed stained jogging bottoms. Two to three to four weeks. If they find me at all. Nobody chooses to leak through their neighbour’s ceiling. In that body. Under that cheap fabric. Was somebody trying to be better. A good girl. A good boy. Somebody who could have been.

18 comments:

  1. Very touching and beautifuly written piece..you might have felt calm after writing it I am sure.. wonderful.. and liked your creative comment too on Gautami's post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ramesh and Sumit..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was "strong". I would like to read your earlier posts, with your permission. This was Strong....thnx,, glenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jae. Happy Wednesday, and a very powerful piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a distinct voice when you write, it's always so real and compelling, just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is succulent, because it’s real. Any one of us humans is just six degrees away from being found in our pissed stained jogging bottoms.

    You’ve got a buncha gem phrases in this one. I’ll bore you with typing out only my #1 and it’s Screams fade down the hallway like cheap lager flushes down the pipes in this building. No, #1 is Nobody chooses to leak through their neighbor’s ceiling...

    Had to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dark pieces always makes for the best read. It's funny how readers connect to that so well. This was excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, another impressive offering! That is some pretty intense stuff, I liked "Screams fade down the hallway like cheap lager flushes down the pipes in this building", made me feel almost as if I were there and in despair. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Desolate, but fulfilling. I thoroughly enjoyed the flow of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, you did it!

    Your writing is deep, compelling and 'real' it engages the reader and takes him/her to places they wouldn't have visited unless they were riding on your words. Powerful writing!

    My 3WW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much to all who commented..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent writing Jae, you really captured the desolation and despair here.
    Kari @ The Best Place By The Fire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holly cow. This is fantastic. It brought me right back to being a teenage runaway, living on the streets, the feelings of hopelessness...the "bucket of shame" I used to feel. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dear jae,

    this piece of writing really touched me. my response to this week's prompt was based on my pain surrounding my son's heroin addiction & recent relapse ... and, somehow the words of your story helped me think of his desperation.

    peace,
    JP/deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so Peaceful and Deb..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think one of the worst feelings is that we will disappear....no trace that we were ever here.

    ReplyDelete