Sunday, 10 October 2010

Essential

It is essential to remain calm in a crisis. She remembered this as the smoke started to fill the room and people began to squeal. Fat Pete the photocopy-man was first out the door. With some relish he put on the yellow tabard and blew his whistle. Wet-Emily and Soppy-Sarah made it first to the exit. They had been on the hockey team and knew how to sprint. They held hands and sobbed. What fuckers she thought. She pictured them sitting on the back of the ambulance in tin foil blankets recounting their near-death experience to the best looking paramedic. Some things never change. The middle-aged ladies (none of whom warranted comedy names they were so amorphous) gathered handbags and photos from their desks. She felt the groan of the floor under their combined weight as they walked away. She sat at her desk. It was strange. It was just as she expected. The story ran in a perfect arc right from the moment she bought the kerosene and matches. She knew she would be left in the flames but just a little part of her hoped somebody would have finally seen her.

15 comments:

  1. I love your descriptions, I smiled straight away at fat Pete and I loved the ending ... hoped somebody would have finally seen her! Brilliant :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch - how painfull to be so invisible in life... and death!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deborah and Alice..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect essentials for the prompt. Invisibility is such a painful reality. Really good write,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. You kept me in suspense. I imagined her bleeding or hurt and no one noticing her until I got to the end. Love that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great little story! I could feel the palpable hate as she observed her co-workers in her mind and her descriptions of Fat Pete. And an awesome twist too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure she left a mark. At least she did her self damage and no one else. Interesting, short, well written and made an explosive statement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks GS..do you know after I posted I thought damn, I never said her intention was not to hurt anyone else..didn't want her to be all bad! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ping off a prompt like a Wall Street trader! This is a fine strand of thinking with a lovely twist : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was curious that she had no misgivings that she might hurt others as well as herself. I am glad that there was still hope within her that so might finally be noticed and valued. Great work again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The names and the descriptions of the characters that left her there were painted with just enough humor and a kind of love that I wasn't left feeling completely horrified. What does that mean, I wonder? I mean, she still burned which is the most horrible nightmare way to go. Now I'm going to go to sleep wondering about that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all..Dee I hope you slept well and didn't ponder too much! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone wants to be seen - even those without "comedy names".

    ReplyDelete