Sunday, 24 October 2010

Curious

My body was taken under blue lights. It was an easy theft. Nothing more than an exchange of gases and air. They had been stalking me for thirty days. It was my fault that they caught me. I was so tired I couldn’t stop the thoughts from coming. When the thoughts came so they found me. I could do nothing as they laid me flat and carried me away.

They inserted the tube and I felt the wrench of my lungs slowly collapsing. My body bucked against the pressure. Choking. Gasping. Trying not to swallow the fluid. My body slowly quieted. Adapted to the pain. Resigned itself. My eyes kept looking however. Curious to see the last sights. Searching for some comfort. Some understanding. They rolled like doll’s eyes as I was moved from hip to hip. I felt the warm flow of blood gathering on the back of the paper gown they had dressed me in. When they were finished I was returned to my back. There I heard the descending click of the heart monitor. My pulse counting down. I became dizzy. The room became grey. My head overflowed with the chewed-up fuzz of old thoughts.

I had to see the monitor. As if it would help. I turned my head and felt the breath leave my mouth. I saw a green line. A few numbers. Forty-five. Forty-four. Forty-three. Watching the descent was almost calming. Like I was in control. Underneath the pulse there were smaller numbers. 18.30. 31.10. I smiled. Recognised the number. I imagined my body a hollowed-out lantern. Like the one I made with Kevin when he was six years old. I felt warm imagining the weight of his tiny body across my chest even though my teeth were chattering. I smelt the autumn morning on his hair even though my nose was filled with the smell of my body emptying. I remembered his lips busy with chocolate. Kevin’s face glowed in the light of the lantern. He was making this ok. In his tiny voice he asked me the same question he had asked at this exact time ten years ago. Just before he answered the door and they took him.

‘Trick or treat mummy.’ And I answered him softly the way I did then. ‘Always choose the treat Kevin. Always choose the treat.’

19 comments:

  1. Very intriguing! I was totally drawn in. Just enough hints to get the mind going! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious, indeed! Nice Halloween read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a bit hasty to do a Halloween tale - I hope I can think of something next week if needs be! Thanks.. Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your writing here is absolutely great. it captured me and sucked me in. I could feel the life ebbing from my body. nice writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me from beginning to end. Good read, wonderful response to the prompt,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular! The ending couldn't have been more perfect... What a great Halloween morning scare, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so good and so eerie. I agree, 'always choose the treat.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is fantastic. A great little start to the Halloween themed stuff coming soon, I am sure. Makes me feel wonderful reading your stuff as always! Thanks for sharing, wouldn't be a Sunday without a Jae offering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jae. You really do what you do well. When I step back and think of the probable time frame of this piece and how much you were able to pack into it - so real and ethereal at the same time. Trick or treat - both I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea that a parent can find comfort from a child, even in the face of something ominious. Anesthetic makes the mind fuzzy, and memory makes things easier to bear. Thank you for the fabulous seasonal nod to fall and Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another gut wrenching, sad and perplexing piece that keeps hitting below the belt. Your writing is so painful and nightmarish that I feel that every hurt you have experienced is allowed to be set free in your imagination when you are let loose on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh you can write, instantly there! brilliant :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks very much to all for reading..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made me so sad. The seeming approach to death, the things remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Annie..at least she wasn't alone..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  16. are you aware of the way your words "glue" together? very good,,indeed.

    ReplyDelete