Monday, 21 August 2023

Muscle Memory

When we were young
We were light on our feet
We could spin in circles
Bright as a Catherine Wheel
Without tripping 
Or falling
I spent a lot of time
Standing on my head
I liked to see the room
From a different view
She giggles
It's magic isn't it
Pretending 
Having adventures
That only we remember 
I wonder how she feels
To be stuck in her body
Small and compact
Quite well indeed
She replies 
With a wink and a smile
My body has changed
It no longer remembers
Jumping and playing
It is heavy
Like old 
Sodden logs
Hard to move
Not springy any more
I'm sure I could make it remember
How it once moved
How I once danced
And turned tumbles
It's all just muscle memory
But my biggest muscle
My brain 
Is like a brake pedal
It stops me moving
Having fun
She takes my hand
Waves it in the air
See you still can be free
She sings the tune 
That is in her head
I like that she is happy
Maybe today I will sing with her
And we will dance
Until we are tired
And fall into bed
Content with the day
And the lives 
We have lived
In our bodies. 

8 comments:

  1. Yes, we can still sing and dance, however slowly........I turtled into town and back today, marveling at how slow the pace is this year. But at least I am still moving! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As life slows down, there's more time for thinking - an exercise that benefits everybody. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully descriptive simile, the 'old sodden logs'. I'm heavier too these days, and walk with a stick when I'm out and about, to keep myself steady. But my brain still dances. Most of alI I love and embrace the idea of being 'content with the lives we have lived in our bodies.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfull I love It is heavy Like old Sodden logs I know the feeling And I love the brain and the brake paddle. A brain can be like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Content with the day
    And the lives
    We have lived
    In our bodies." You've given words to what I've been feeling. Contentment is a wonderful attitude to cultivate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Catherine Wheel! I have discovered thru research it is a circular "firework" ... I would love to see, and most likely have but did not realize it way up there in the sky with all the pinwheels, blasts, rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever she is that's nice company and blessed to have...... a nice poem too

    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the lives we have lived in our bodies. Impactful and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete