Wednesday, 17 November 2021

I Didn't Think I Could Do It

Break a leg
She chuckles
I didn't think I could do it
But skip trip
Trippety-trip I fell down the stairs
And snap 
Now here I am sat
In the basement 
Looking at the filament light 
It is not ferociously bright
But I can still see her
I wonder how long it will be
Until we are found
Forever 
She whispers 
There are spent bullets
Beneath the doorway
They are no longer burning 
Or bright 
Perhaps we could crawl 
Under the ground
Find the electric current 
And soar
I do not remember what we took
Before the fall
But I know it does not hurt 
There are many things 
I didn't think I could do
Perhaps I should remember 
What I can
Not what I can't 
A dime a dozen 
An arm and a leg
We can do it all. 

13 comments:

  1. "Skip trip trippety trip" sounds so light, then comes the fall. An intriguing poem that contains a story and makes the reader wonder.....the spent bullets......I like "I should remember what I can Not what I cant."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old adages take on new meaning here ~~~ creating curiosity in me. Poetry that pulls the reader in, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your words intriguing too and its close is perfect.
    Loads of love
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, indeed! With a companion you can do anything you need to do. You can do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A puzzle within an enigma within a conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is incredible, Jae. It is the poem version of my favorite book genre.

    So powerful:

    “I can still see her
    I wonder how long it will be
    Until we are found
    Forever”

    “Perhaps I should remember
    What I can
    Not what I can't”

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was my favorite image:

    "Perhaps we could crawl
    Under the ground
    Find the electric current
    And soar"

    enjoyed this jae

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG
    That particular saying always troubled me

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  9. kind of scary thoughts but excellent write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I'm not familiar with the saying, I can relate to the lines "Perhaps I should remember / What I can / Not what I can't" There's wisdom in that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems as though I jumped into the middle of the story and hope for the beginning and an end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely read. Yes, we should choose what we can do.

    ReplyDelete