Saturday, 3 August 2019

Morning

We sit in the corner of the cafe
Lift the glass from the table
It is quiet as a library
Silent as our scars
Dawn shimmies through the clouds
We hear the call of birds
Their silver wings cast shadows in the sky
Spray us with light and gentle calls
Bees carry messages
Dance merrily
Wrap sweet honey around our lips
We watch them
Alice wraps her fingers around mine
They are sticky
In her pocket is a tiny collection of shells
She jingles them like pennies
A perfect fit
Be careful not to break them she whispers
Her voice almost choked
Barely audible over the morning sun
In the park figures hunch over chess boards
Playing games
Parked up
All a sham
We have our own games to usher in the day
We close the door
Breathe deeply
The gulls trill and the trees sway
We lie on the floor and think
Savour the light and gentle breeze
Who knows what adventures the rest of the day will bring.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful commentary Jae. It is always a delight to visit a beach you haven't been to before and discover shells you hadn't found before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tiny collection of shells feels symbolic of shared secrets and trust between the two. Beautiful, and a little fragile perhaps. We must always handle the confidences shared between friends with care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy Alice in her many moods on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's magic and childhood in those seashells. Lovely poem. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed this outing, I could see it all, especially the people hunched over the chess boards. I love the little pocket of shells, and Alice's sticky fingers. LOVE the birds and bees doing their thing. Just lovely, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Dawn shimmies through the clouds
    We hear the call of birds
    Their silver wings cast shadows in the sky
    Spray us with light and gentle calls
    Bees carry messages
    Dance merrily
    Wrap sweet honey around our lips
    We hear the call of birds
    Their silver wings cast shadows in the sky
    Spray us with light and gentle calls
    Bees carry messages
    Dance merrily
    Wrap sweet honey around our lips”

    Jae, this is so beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a while since I read about Alice. But as usual your words are beautiful and imagery vivid that I see the light and breathe the gentle breeze; such a lovely morning outing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, Jae, there's such a feeling of peace and contentment in this poem! And because they lie on the floor and think, grand adventures are certain to come their way. I love every line you've written!

    My Whirligig Is Here

    ReplyDelete