Saturday, 7 May 2016

Settle

















We shake the candy jar
Unsettle the sugar
Excuse me while I scream
She says
My house is falling down

Force
Quit
Surrender

The pollen drifts 
A sugar trail memory
Stuck beneath our fingertips 

Mass
Chant
Rant

Sound falls 
Heavy as bricks
Thick as words
She runs the map in her head
Like a trance

Where are you going
I ask
Wherever the road sends me
She replies

I bite my lip
Red flows down
Sweet as cherry blossom rain
Drip drop
Please stop

She lifts the blinds 
Mother bird
Silver pot
Water in the sky

It’s really all quite marvellous 
She declares
Like a magic show
Or the bestest news

I roll over 
Block my eyes

Light 
Bright 
Tight

She settles on the floor
Sips moonbeams from a paper cup
Thinks a little bit

Do you believe in happy ever after

I shake my head

The pollen drifts 
A sugar trail memory
Stuck beneath our fingertips

We shake the candy jar
Unsettle the sugar
Excuse me while I scream
She says
My heart is falling down.

62 comments:

  1. The pollen drifts
    A sugar trail memory
    Stuck beneath our fingertips

    Gosh these lines are so beautifully poignant Jae. Sometimes troubles in life act as a whiff of scent beneath our noses.. heavy and unmoving.. lingering as a constant reminder of the mess we are in. I adore the tender yet powerful feelings which your poem evokes.

    Beautifully executed. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaa - perfectly put about scent and it's association with how things are - always a pleasure to take part too

      Delete
  2. She settles on the floor
    Sips moonbeams from a paper cup
    Thinks a little bit..... I'd like a cup of that to think along with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be rather scrumptious wouldn't it - thank you Debi

      Delete
  3. Sometimes its really hard to beieve

    "Do you believe in happy ever after
    I shake my head"

    especially when our eyes are glued to TV news; Oh but we must

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, try we must..thank you kindly Gillena

      Delete
  4. Your poem has left my mouth full of sugar-storms and falling things. Such beauty... blooming in the breaking. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magaly - blooming in the breaking - what a great description ♥️

      Delete
  5. it's good to see her settle down even if on floor and trying to believe in happy ever after than to walk in a trance...Alice is moonstruck, ha, all poets are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumana - it's good to be a little moonstruck at times :)

      Delete
  6. I too believe in going wherever the road sends me. Uphill climbs, sharp bends and the occasional dead end. Life is an adventure isn't it Alice?

    Here is my FFftPP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is Keith - although j is a little slow on the hills - too much sugar no doubt ;)

      Delete
  7. perhaps if the candy jar was unshaken the house might stand still! another delightful but pointed tussle with your doppelgänger who urges you to look out! (is it a warning, a threat or a plea for extrospection?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a snow globe.. yes..maybe we should let the sugar settle..i think it maybe a plea for extrospection..heaven knows we must be bored by now - thank you telltale

      Delete
  8. Between house to heart falling down, this narrator gets smaller and stiller. I like her one word lines, snippets from the sugar jar, or maybe the ends/echoes of scream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like falling down the rabbit hole or drinking the potion - i think those snippets may well be the latter option - thank you kindly Susan

      Delete
  9. To use sugar and cookies to express the pain.. Words as bricks falling down. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be more fun shouldn't they! Thank you very much Bjorn

      Delete
  10. Yes, we all have to go where the road sends us. We walk along and hope the experiences along the way are good ones....that that a 'happily ever after' is on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - maybe that's what keeps us walking - thank you kindly Mary...may there be a rainbow on that horizon for all of us

      Delete
  11. Sweet as cherry blossoms rain, ah, memories. Though I am trying to imagine whether it's blood or some medicine.

    The shaking of head - an assurance that after all there's still a place of "happily ever after". If there's none in the real world, we can find it in our hearts.

    Thanks for this Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your cherry blossom post Totomai! Let's say it's some good medicine - thank you too

      Delete
  12. Where are you going. I ask
    Wherever the road sends me
    She replies

    It is good to keep the options open as it can mean more choices to work on. Nicely Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choice is always a good thing - thank you very much Hank

      Delete
  13. From the house falling down to the heart falling down, this poem is sad and sweet. I love the Mother Bird who appeared in your poem and on your nearby rooftop...........she is bringing hope. (I sent her. Smiles.) A beautiful poem as always, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sending her - and for being her maybe too - I guess sad and sweet is better than two helpings of sad! Thank you kindly Sherry 🕊

      Delete
  14. Boy sometimes that sugar is not as sweet as it claims...and we are stuck with the aftermath.

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like it's stuck in our teeth! Thank you Donna...

      Delete
  15. It’s really all quite marvellous
    She declares
    Like a magic show
    Or the bestest news

    Wish life were always like this, but sometimes the sugar does unsettle. Still, its nice to know there's some sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe sugar isn't so sweet when there's too much of it - but like a little cloud it's good to know it's there - thank you Myrna

      Delete
  16. "Yes Virgina, there is a Santa Clause," and "happy ever after" is possible, it is all up to us. My wwrite today, was also about "after." And when it is over, it is still up to us.....xoxoxoxohugs sugarbear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the sugar is in our hands...thank you kindly (nobody's called me sugar bear before tsk - maybe because I'm grumpy bear) thank you Annell xo

      Delete
  17. From the opening onwards, perhaps 'bittersweet' sums it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colonialist - I think it sums it up perfectly

      Delete
  18. Wonderfully full of anxiety and suspense, and ... wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn - we like the last word best ;)

      Delete
  19. What is happy ever after? We are as happy as we allow ourselves to be. And I'm with Alice, the path takes us where it will and accepting that might even allow us to be happy especially if we can sip moonbeams from a paper cup. Really like the vivid imagery in this one...

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth - true as moonbeams - but so hard to allow ourselves that at times..well, always...we will keep sipping and trying..and see where we land

      Delete
  20. I like 'sips moonbeams from a paper cup', Jae... very reflective.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sips moonbeams from a paper cup... that is such a great line. It really makes me think. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phew--intense emotion here, Jae Rose, that begs a backstory. For me it felt like dealing with a person with a bipolar disorder. Then again, perhaps everyday life in all its ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you named that disorder in one try! Thank you Liv2 ..although yes, everybody has their ups and downs..thank you very much

      Delete
  23. excuse me while i scream
    my heart is falling down

    i will catch it and wedge it
    between the space in the wall
    does not matter if the jagged edges
    of the bricks cut into it
    it's got to stay in one piece
    it is not going down
    what?
    for a prick like that
    no way

    that's how i deal with these matters
    something i can relate to at the moment
    apologies for my lack of eloquence on this occasion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rallentanda - you never lack eloquence, elegance or empathy - much appreciated...a comment worthy of becoming a poem in itself.. thank you

      Delete
  24. Do you believe in happy ever after... just the unanswerable question one can ask while sipping moonbeams from paper cups! Love it Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that! I guess if we knew the answer we may not have any more adventures to pursue - thank you thotpurge!

      Delete
  25. It is very hard not to drag the past with you. Happy ever after is perhaps an impossible dream and we should be satisfied with bouts of bliss and laughter and hold on tight to those through the dark times. That is why looks and words, touch and scent are so important to treasure within you. You really do dig deep into our minds Jae with your wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your thoughtful and wonderful comment Old Egg - a prolonged happy ever after may become normal so you're no doubt right that bursts of bliss are the best boost..thank you

      Delete
  26. A beautiful poem with a bittersweet feel to it. Love this vivid image of: "A sugar trail memory Stuck beneath our fingertips". I can almost taste and smell sugar from your depiction :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is sweet! Thank you very much Khaya :)

      Delete
  27. A wonderful word tapestry woven through this piece: dazzles of sugar and moonbeams amongst the sounds that fall as heavy as bricks. This is so well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Wendy - dazzles of sugar and moonbeams do sound scrumptious!

      Delete
  28. "wherever the road send me"
    and when there's a fork
    we toss a coin.

    sorry, i got carried away. :)
    there's so much lovely imagery :
    "A sugar trail memory
    Stuck beneath our fingertips
    "
    "Sips moonbeams from a paper cup"..
    yes, as someone already commented, a bittersweet feel to this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got carried away I think it led you to a poem ;) thank you very much

      Delete
  29. I don't know the story behind these words...but they speak to me of the pain of loss and anger. Sad yet beautiful XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the story - thank you for seeing it Gina

      Delete
  30. Jae Rose I always love the way you use the inanimate (like sugar) and give it motion.

    Unstable walls
    things are never as they seem
    sugar frowns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the sugar out of the jar also Leslie - yes sugar frowns 😔

      Delete