Saturday, 24 January 2015

Still

I wished I could have seen who was talking. If you have something to fear, rather than something that could be anything, it is easier  - Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The morning is bright
She lies across me
To keep me still
She knows how hard it is to quiet my mind 
No words
No spells
Just something better chiming in the far off miles

We do not really like the spiders or the flies
They scorch us badly
Worse than the powder and the dust
That becomes a pattern
Sunk into our skin

A sign of what has happened
A sign of what has been

The spiders and flies
Are wily 
Like him
They devour our spirit 
Quicker than the sugar melting on our lips

My eyes flicker 
I think maybe I laugh
She sits up
Like a cat licking her paws
Connected
Not attached

no wonder you snore for your head’s on the floor
and you’ve needles and pins from your soul to your shins

Sole Alice
That was the word he used
But she is right
Soul is far better

What shall we do today she claps
The same as any other 
You know
This and that
Something trite
And nothing right

A walk across the land
A photograph of sand
Falling through the egg timer
Aimless
Wondering
Wandering
Forgotten

Well quick sticks
And mend your bricks
We have a misadventure to pursue

I am so tired Alice I think
But she is off and away
Lost in my thoughts
As if they were her own.



60 comments:

  1. Much like "Know your enemy" rather than not knowing who or what it is that troubles you. This a delight in its wordplay Jae; Are you sure you're not related to Lewis Carroll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg- I think Lewis Carroll was a weird solitary person too (just ask the real Alice I suppose)...but yes..a name to blame is always helpful

      Delete
  2. Ahh to have someone lost in one's troubles as if they were her own...seductive & strange and almost wonderful. Love falling through the egg timer...a short distance can seem so long. Another beauty, Jae. Say hello to Alice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and if you have time...read me at dailyminutiax7.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. and if you can find the time , read me at dailyminutia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna - Alice waves hi back and we will try to link to your blog

      Delete
  5. I always love your images and alliterations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a conversation with an imaginary friend or something. Either that or talking to one's self because it is comforting. I've often done that when I am alone. I really liked the reality of this poem though. She sounds like a great person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenn...we can be our own best friends - or enemies so it never hurts to have a good conversation with ourselves to hammer things out ;)

      Delete
  7. What fun to be able to play in another's thoughts. Far better than to always be stuck with one's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..the joy of imagination and words...thank the heavens for them - and thank you too Ann

      Delete
  8. The images you produced, how engaging they are, that as if I was present in there watching the whole scene. Really nice. smiles.

    - ksm

    ReplyDelete
  9. while i enjoy the poem, it's the last stanza that's giving echoes until now. where is she? you are right maybe she's just there doing her "own thing"

    i also like the various interpretation of the title - Still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insightful comment..i had two versions of the last line...i am glad this version echoed for you

      Delete
  10. Agreed about that last stanza. It's brilliant.

    https://miskmask.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/flattening-yield-signs/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire the morning's portrayal as she is another person...then the twist in the end, the other part of us, the one who has a lot of misadventure to pursue ~ There is a disconnect in the person & though I may not understand the reasons why, I appreciate the honesty ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disconnect is the perfect word - thank you for understanding Grace

      Delete
  12. Somehow the sense of Alice presenting themselves as real as ourselves so you might wonder which side of the mirror that really has substance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always the dilemma...when imagination is more inviting than reality perhaps...thank you Bjorn

      Delete
  13. This is wonderful! I love it, love the sense and the nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annell..it feels like just that mix at times!

      Delete
  14. ha. alice...always ready to play...and off and away even if we are unsure of the day and what it has in store for us....interesting relationship you have with alice eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...she certainly keeps me on my toes....thank you kindly Brian

      Delete
  15. a disconnection felt here and an inbetween sense - much like in alice for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you Claudia - one foot each side of the mirror

      Delete
  16. One can never know what others may want to do! To each his own! Wonderful write Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hank - trouble is mostly I don't know what I'm going to do :~

      Delete
  17. An engaging poem this is for sure but the closing lines made the greatest impact on me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the sand falling through the egg timer... cool line... what is time anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! Maybe five I clock - that's always good for tea and cake..thank you Wolfsrose

      Delete
  19. "What shall we do today she claps
    The same as any other
    You know
    This and that
    Something trite
    And nothing right"l

    atypical Alice, a really delightful read

    have a good Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena she can be predictable - happy Sunday to you too

      Delete
  20. I need to mend my bricks quick sticks having been canon fired from Poets Pantry . So I am no longer able to post at Poets United, Dverse , Poetry Jam....yep and got the chop and all in one week...have broken a record I think..Just letting you know in case you thought I had disappeared into a puff of smoke...which would make a number of irks very happy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ralllentanda...I will find you wherever....me and Alice welcome everyone at our table...was it a misunderstanding? Don't go my dear Rall....stay and have tea at least

      Delete
    2. Is that why my comment on your Midweek Motif poem bounced? You haven't been banned here, but I think I have been banned at your site! I'm very surprised. I don't really want to know the back story. Just want you to stay. I'm with Jae Rose on that!

      Delete
    3. I do not know how to block anyone from my site. I am a tech dunce. I know how to moderate comments and link. That is all. Maybe I have been hacked...I will look into it. I am pleased I am still welcome at Poets Pantry. I have been visiting for years . Thanks Susan. Thanks Jae Rose !

      Delete
    4. Glad all's sorted - I'm no good at the tech stuff either!

      Delete
  21. Love your wordplay here. Made me feel like a butterfly flitting from one nectar to another, soaking up all that nurture through the soles of her feet (most of their senses are located there). Which, I believe, means that Alice is correct defining it as soul. Much the same as a misadventure need not be a mistake, but simply a missed adventure, and a mistake becomes a missed undertaking. And that only means it will come again and we shall be given the opportunity to make a different choice. We weird solitary individuals are incredibly lucky because all we have is time and an imagination as great as the Cosmos. Hugs from here to there, and an extra one for Alice, she is the elixir as well as its source.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth...I like that my little Alice is elixir and the source...yes being weird and solitary allows our minds to fly like butterflies....thank heavens for that...where would we be all cooped up in a homogenous crowd...

      Delete
  22. Lovely to read, Jae Rose, I also like "needles and pins from your soul to your shins". And the photograph of sand falling through the egg timer. Very cool write. Have a happy Sunday, my friend. It sounds as if you are feeling restful and Alice restive.......a dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherry - I am dichotomied up to the eye balls..which is why on the whole I give up and take to my bed with a cold flannel on my head until tea time ;)

      Delete
  23. Your word play is always unique, Jay. I love this poem. I am sorry for not visiting, I got caught in a creepy depression and then the flu visited and brought me round again.

    Pamela ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Pamela ...I completely understand the depression and flu...you will see I am much slower these days...like I'm replying in crayon...so good to see you xo

      Delete
  24. 'Something trite' to do is good for relaxation and feeling calm. Sure, soul is always stronger, take rest, dear Jae :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's sound advice..thank you kindly humbird xo

      Delete
  25. Wonderful with 'Well quick sticks
    And mend your bricks
    We have a misadventure to pursue' .....and really loved the end!

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  26. "Like him
    They devour our spirit
    Quicker than the sugar melting on our lips"

    The epigraph by Neil Gaiman is soooo true, and this poem illustrates that in a world that offers stability at a cost. The word play in hree is brilliant, especially the soul/sole use. Pow, lady. Your poet power is growing. What if the weights were gone and the poet was free to play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your liberating comment Susan..you know I am scared of losing those weights..they become old familiars however much you hate them..the other night I thought to myself I would rather be going to bed with a good life than a good poem...to have both - now that would be a blessing..thank you...

      Delete
  27. I think, perhaps, it is time to let Alice go of and play be herself. I'm not sure she plays nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps you are right thank you Kim

      Delete
  28. Having Alice for a friend would be interesting to say the least.Sometimes a misadventure is either a good learning experience or a stepping stone. Thanks for sharing this, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Belva - we are undecided at the best of times :~

      Delete
  29. I love "Ocean At The End Of The Lane." You captured the feeling of that passage i. Your poem very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much GL - it's a beautiful book for sure...

      Delete