Sunday, 11 January 2015

Captured

Drips from the roof are plopping into the back door
The view above the sink is excessively drear 
Beyond the dank garden are the ruined walls 
The ploughed fields stretch to the leaden sky
I tell myself that rain is good
That at any moment spring will smile on us
I try to see leaves on the trees 
Filled with sunlight
The more green and gold
The more drained of all colour 
The twilight seems

It is comforting to look away from the window
Towards the kitchen fire
I am no beauty
I remark to Rose 
That our situation is romantic

Two girls in this strange and lonely house 

Our home is an unreasonable place to live 
Yet I love it

I can see more time ahead of me than I do now

I wish I knew a way to make words flow out of father
He brandished the cake knife so menacingly 
Was sent to prison for three months.


I wrote this for Dverse edited from I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith - but missed the deadline...but a surge became a smile for poetry pantry :)


36 comments:

  1. I wait as well for spring to smile on me; and, ha, if I squint my eyes enough I can almost imagine those leaves on the trees. Alas, we will have to wait a few months yet. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems long but hopefully it will be here in a flash..thanks Mary

      Delete
  2. I loved that book, and have read it several times. I couldn't find your wordle poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv - it's the second link on the Sunday whirl!

      Delete
  3. I don't know the book, but I love the poem and the comfort of the home's unreason, especially in teh absence of the father. To be captured thus can be a respite as well, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - you may enjoy the book..it's quite gentle to read

      Delete
  4. you def put us right there....nice atmospheric touches like the draining of all color....and there will come a time when i think we all wonder if spring will ever come again...i am not there yet, i still want to see snow.....the last stanza feels like a quick turn, but it got my attention...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Brian...I think we all wait in the sink for spring ;)

      Delete
  5. I have not read the book but have the DVD which I enjoyed. Your Spring means Autumn for us so I hope it does not come quickly at all:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we are upside down here! In so many ways ;) thas very much Rallentanda

      Delete
  6. Spring is still so far away, so I have not begun to even look for signs.. Still lots of candles to burn to get by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candles and fairy lights are very welcome indeed...thank you Bjorn

      Delete
  7. I really like this little vignette. "Our home is an unreasonable place to live yet I love it." You created a cool scene with this, Jae Rose. I love the description of the scene through the window. Love "excessively drear".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sherry - I can't claim excessively drear - that's Dodie's

      Delete
  8. Yippee! A change of style and what a story Jae. If I wasn't so cross with Alice I would clap my sticky hands just like her. This is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Old Egg it was fun to write something different!

      Delete
  9. Captured well...me too...looking forward to warmth....just another 1.5 months....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Humbird..let's hope it flies by xo

      Delete
  10. i love this...so many images that remind me of the 'everyday.' wanting the rain to leave, waiting for the spring, the small but meaningful moments...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most important ones perhaps? Thank you kindly Stacy

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the narrative very much ~ I too look forward to the colors of spring ~ Have a good week Jae ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Grace...have a very good week too

      Delete
  12. I tell myself that rain is good
    That at any moment spring will smile on us
    I try to see leaves on the trees
    Filled with sunlight

    a bright optimistic thought...with full of hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PT...now to put it into practice!

      Delete
  13. The warm homely atmosphere is created from the beginning, which is relegated to the background with those last few lines. Interesting and vivid read. Well-penned.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you HA...I think it is a warm home - sadly not mine - maybe the last lines are closer to that

      Delete
  14. no matter what, it is your home. we find beauty in every corner.
    i like how the poem shifts from daydreaming to reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Totomai...we often make that shift ;) trouble is we forget which is which!

      Delete
  15. Thank you very much Loredana

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great story you tell, with the surprise ending. I remember loving that book long, long ago; would like to hunt it up and re-read now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS Very wet here too - but for us it's part of our summer this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Rosemary...the opening sentence is brilliant..remember using it on another prompt site before and that's how i discovered the book...rain and hail here mind you our weather is rarely season specific ;)

      Delete
  18. The first two stanzas remind me of Seamus Heaney. A great poem Jea Rose my favorite of yours so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much GL - what a kind compliment - and glad you enjoyed!

      Delete