Saturday, 13 August 2011
Time Spent In Green
The woman in green sits on the wall and watches me. I am standing at the railing. The bag on one side. My feet and legs on the other. Anchored like jelly. Maybe she is the bell. Not real. But an alarm in my head. Yes. I decide that’s what she is. I want her to be. But people are just colours. Today it has been all green. Apart from the water. In the aisle. Standing with stitches and pins. The green trouser man attends to someone else. Time falls around the shampoo. The bottle I hide the packet behind. In. For a moment it is me at the back of the shop. I am on the floor catching myself up. The carpet ripped open. The powder sticky on my hands. The cherry red ink betraying me. But that was another time. It is hard to keep up remembering. Colours are much simpler than memories. Than people. There is always green. When I am ready. At night - in between thinking and doing - it is yellow and I feel someone on my chest. Sometimes I speak to them. My hands are folding up the blanket and I am sharing a joke. When my eyes catch up I see am stuck to the bed with glue. No going forward. No going back. The thump of a hand gives me breath. I remember my life today. It lasted one minute and thirty-nine seconds. I dig my feet deep into the only dreams I can muster. Raw. Dirty sand. The dry fuck of time passing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like green days, the color of grass and leaves, and so many growing things observed. I think green is a hopeful color. The difficult days for me are the days gone gray. Yellow is my favorite color, when it is yellow something really wonderful is going to happen. If we should all speak the truth, that is probably just about how long life is, that we are aware and that we know, one minute and thirty-nine seconds. Very nice write!
ReplyDeleteHow many colours can she whittle it down to to make life manageable? A life that is not too complex. Just 1 minute 39 seconds when she was in control of her life today and all the rest were these colours swirling around making nonsense of it all. That makes sense. I can finally relate to one of your pieces of writing Jae!
ReplyDeleteYellow is a good colour Annell..I can't remember traffic lights in America..but here you wait on amber..the middle colour..a temporary pause in time..a bit of safety..
ReplyDeleteYay! It had to happen one day..thanks OldEgg..
Jae
So many questions swirling along with the colors. The packet- what sacrifices were made so that she could possess it? hide it behind her shampoo bottle in the bag? That in between time - in that yellow place - does she consider doing something different? The little fraction of time caught my attention. Was it worth the cost and sacrifice? And the amber... are there other ways to find the middle, the temporary pause? So many questions swirling along with the colors.
ReplyDeleteThe woman in green symbolizes the bell for the narrator- an alarm. Sometimes, an alarm can be raucous and annoying, but for the narrator, it obviously brings peace. Perhaps it wakes her from the bad dream that is the red ink. The yellow seems a sort of peace too, but a peace that is less tiring. But day comes, and the red nightmare closes round again.
ReplyDelete"When my eyes catch up I see am stuck to the bed with glue. No going forward. No going back. The thump of a hand gives me breath. I remember my life today. It lasted one minute and thirty-nine seconds."
I'm sorry but the only colour I can find here is - black, Black, BLACK! But then, I'm just a dumb hick, what do I know?
ReplyDeleteThank you Kim..I doubt one minute is ever worth the cost or sacrifice..but waiting in yellow does leave room for manoeuvre..
ReplyDeleteYes, I think you're right Abigail..maybe also the fact that someone outside the dream is an alarm brings a kind of peace..someone cares enough to be on the look out...
Underneath all colour is black..no fooling you Altonian!
Jae
Raped by time. That's what it says to me. Time has not been, and still is not, kind. Yes, colours have multiple meanings. For me green is hope and peace and healing. But it can also be the green ooze of a puss-filled infection, or the slime on a algae infested pond, or, I could go on to describe worse. I keep reading your posts because they are so different from mine.
ReplyDeleteI like myriads of colour this post gives me...
ReplyDeletehinder the tremors
Thank you Grace - for keeping reading..for coming back..that opening sentence...couldn't have expressed it better..
ReplyDeleteThank you Gautami..
Jae
I think; un-glue and un-fold, go forward,,is it just that easy? I dunno...
ReplyDeleteAh Jae-- I'm glad to be back and reading your haunting cadence and lovely imagery.
ReplyDeleteWhen it gets old glue can be picked off can't it Glenn..and everything gets old...
ReplyDeleteGood to have you back Kate..thank you..
Jae
Strong images... powerful ending. Your poetry always amazes me!
ReplyDeletelaurie kolp
I get the yellow, the being glued, the dry fuck of time passing. I see it very clearly, Jae. And yes, it gets old but it's always there.
ReplyDeleteHere's a manic one from me. As always, love your intensity and your honesty, Jae. Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/me-not-me-an-etheree/
Thank you Amy..shall go over and check your mania..Jae x
ReplyDeleteThanks Laurie..Jae
ReplyDeleteThe school year starting and as I read, of course the first things that came to mind were brand new boxes of crayons and white glue that smells good and dries on your fingers so you can sit and peel it off.
ReplyDeleteColor has so many meanings the experts say, but I think the associations are personal for all of us. For me green is cool when it is in nature but at the same time I hate bright green clothing so that makes me see the woman in green and the man in green trousers as a bad thing. The yellow at night made me think of warm buttery lamplight and safety, then the harshness at the end. Time goes too fast or too slow, and never stops when we wish it would. Another thought provoking write. I think I wish this Jae a soft blue blanket and soft blue flannel pajamas, and a good book to get lost in and stave away the bad dreams.
I like that thought Dee..I have a purple blankie that is snuggly..Jae
ReplyDelete