Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The Dolly's Head

The dolly’s head lies under the car. A red flower by its crown. There are no signs of viable life. I check. That is what I used to do. Check for life. I think all that checking left tyre marks on my head. My face. Like the dolly. Squashed. No longer a loveable little thing for you to hold. They are working on something. I can feel. I pass by. Mute. Without consequence. They are not working on me. It is harder than you think. To become lost. It requires motivation. Co-ordination. Execution. When they keep knocking on your door there is still a chance. I set my eyes high up in my dolly’s skull and pretend I am no longer waiting. Put my body back into filthy clothes. Hang the outside clothes up for tomorrow. Baby’s best. Line up the metal flowers. Plant them. Try to ignore the day running out. Knowing I will be at the window again. Choking. Gasping for breath I don’t even want to own. Breathing makes your heart beat and when your heart beats your head thinks and when your head thinks you understand that you will be tidied up in minutes. And my head is so full it is empty. And I long to be that dolly. Separate from its body. Rolling in the road. A little flower by my temple. A little hand for me to hold.

26 comments:

  1. Love the line, "And my head is so full it is empty." Interesting read. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she looking for the dolly? Does she know the head is under the car. I see her looking, with her chubby little white legs pumping up and down.

    Even though the doll is squashed, and thought to be unloveable, she is mine, and I want her. The child thinks all it takes is love. I've never known a child to love a dolly, because of how it looks. She plays with it to death.

    Yes, it is hard to become lost, but it is said," we like to, because it feels so good to return home?"

    "Baby best." I love!

    Have you noticed how hard it is to own a breath? We get it, we think it is ours and it is forced from our body. Yes, I think she does long for that dolly. The "doll" is an object of affection for a child, a sacred thing. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'And my head is so full it is empty' ... brilliant Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your poem is heartbreaking jaerose. I am
    simply stunned as the effect you words
    have had on me - Ty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Roan..

    Playing to death..I think there's a story to hang upon that line Annell..dolly's can be scary too..teddy bear fluff is much more yielding than doll plastic..warmer..thank you x

    Thank you Deborah..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Gasping for breath I don't even want to own" - haunting and inspired. The whole piece is delicate, fragile, and absolutely delicious to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somtimes think, I wish I had an 'off' switch for my brain or, that I could unscrew my head and put it on a shelf somewhere so that I could take a break from... me. That's what this reminds me of, you're stuck inside your head and sometimes you don't want to be there.
    It's so deep on many levels of thought and just as lovely for it, too.
    At times your thoughts amaze me. You are a queen of this craft of writing, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are they dead or wanting to be dead I'm just not sure. either way a powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Daydreamer..we should all be fitted we an off switch shouldn't we (although granted it's hard to know if the vast majority of the world is 'on')..

    Thanks Sheilagh - either or is the right place I think..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strong, powerful images... sad. I especially like:

    And my head is so full it is empty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathing makes your heart beat and when your heart beats your head thinks and when your head thinks you understand...

    this piece illuminates the challenges inherent to understanding and change. Well done, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Gasping for breath I don’t even want to own."

    "It is harder than you think. To become lost. It requires motivation. Co-ordination. Execution."

    Wonderful writing Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your writing is certainly developing into prose that your readers can relate to in its complexity. You have a wonderful gift of eliciting profound emotions that spark memories in us all. You touch us deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been feeling a bit squished myself lately, but I don't want to be a dolly in the road.

    This is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Laurie..

    Thanks Kim..I hadn't seen it in that light..

    Thank you Susannah..

    Thank you Old Egg.. :)

    No, it's not the best place to be Alice..hope you are de-squishing..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  16. ,,at the window; so, what do you think, Ms jae rose?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jae...I have felt like that dolly...and I have felt like wanting to be that dolly. Well written emotion. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The part after "breathing makes your heart beat..." is so familiar to me! And the dolly, feeling like you should check your OWN head for tread marks? Yeah, babe... NOW who needs the palette-cleansing, friendly poetry? LOL I love you for all the things you are and all the things you are on your way to becoming. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/three-prompts-three-poems/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jaerose, this writing took my breath away. I wasn't sure who to identify with - the "dolly" or the "I". Both, probably. I agree with Annell, children do not play with dolls because of how they look. Some favorites are old and worn and still loved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can relate to a head being so full it feels empty. It's a case of thinking so hard, and knowing that there is so much to be done, that one ends up doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really a nice blog you have been created. when i was searching something else. i came to your blog & at the same time i had to stop myself on your blog because you have wonderful blog , so informative & interesting. i enjoyed much more from read your article & i love to see such like pictures. Thanks for posting such a great articles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your writing always draws the reader in and then sends them off on thought tangents of their own...it seems deeply personal to you and yet it says something to everyone. I read this and see myself in it. I have been this person lately.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to all who have left comments - apologies for the late thank you..much appreciate you stopping by..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  24. This poem took my breath away too. And it is the untold story behind the poem, one senses. I was especially riveted by the final few lines........"a little hand for me to hold". Wow. Powerful writing!

    ReplyDelete