Wednesday, 29 September 2010

The Safe Room

I drink in the toilet. My safe room. The world can’t engulf me in there. As six o’clock comes I switch him on and close my eyes. Going under is imminent. The flames of the amber syrup gently burns my throat. I put the wedge under the door. I always tamper with the locks. To keep myself safe. To keep people from saving me. This is my place. My safe room. And when it is all over I can wipe the bowl. Flush my stomach. Turn him off. Open the door and leave. Smiling of things unknown.

13 comments:

  1. Your write so deeply and evocatively, I always end up with my forehead scrunched up whilst muttering oooh! ... brilliant :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drank in a study off the kitchen where I kept boxed wine in the refrigerator just a few steps away in the kitchen. I had a drinking chair, a recliner I could sit in and pass out in and not fall out. Also waking back up, there were no stiff necks or anything, the chair didn't hurt me. I never did piss myself there. A perfect drinking chair. There was no door, only the doorway and the chair was right there. My wife kept the bedroom door shut and spent most of her time at home there in what was once our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a terrifying image! And a good use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all - and Christopher hope the 'drinking chair' is retired..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, haunting piece of writing there. I can almost visualize it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to unnerve you Gautami - I hope it settles..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems to touch nerves. I think everyone needs a safe room/zone these days, for whatever reason.

    For some reason this little detail "I always tamper with the locks." made it real for me. There is almost always that little detail in your writing that turns on the light and we are there in the scene, experiencing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dee..maybe we can share a happier place in one of my pieces sometime soon! jae

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is WOW. My safe place in the Bunkie and the bottom of a bottle of single malt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s exactly it. And your responses to the comments even, are apart and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete