The tube of fine chocolate has remained un-opened in the cupboard for many months. I shake as I break the seal. This is my will folding. I peel open each individual chocolate disc and lay them on the counter. My mouth fills with saliva. How I have yearned for the silky fine cocoa to burst on my tongue. How I have praised myself for my resolve. Each night sitting in the chair looking at the little red clock, not touching them. Resisting. Repelling. Repressing. The first disc is like heaven. I am slow. Mindful. It melts. I sigh out loud. Look around the empty room guiltily. Someone will catch me being nice to myself. Eating more than bread and beans. I tell them I find no pleasure and here I am standing at the counter slipping chocolate in my mouth. Faster and faster. Time spins and I am holding the last piece of chocolate. Now I feel sick and remorseful. On the counter is an empty tube and a pile of silver foil. I hastily put them in the bin bag. Seal it up. Place it outside the kitchen door. That irks me and I have to lock it outside the front door. I have to get rid of it. Forget it. The light fades. The chocolate settles heavily in my stomach. I groan as I drop the curtains then settle myself back into my chair of waiting. Even there I find it hard to rest. To live with the empty tube and silver foil of life. I move constantly. Drum my fingers. Twitch my toes. Smack my lips. Yet I am as motionless as a headstone. Rigid. Stuck in the ground. But not secure. Just scarcely hiding buried bones of regret and wasted time.
I switch off the lights. Say goodnight to the house and feel ok. The bag is outside. There is mess in it. But at least I have marked my birthday with a fleeting amount of pleasure.
There is a curious feeling of sadness in this piece. It is the birthday alone, except for the chocolate indulgence that did it for me. As most of my writing is not true, I hope you write the same way, stirring up the emotions with falsehoods but with plenty of reality thrown in for authenticity.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the visit.
Thanks OldEgg..I always totally believe in the authenticity of your pieces..I think mine are a mix of real and imagined..not sure on the percentage! thanks for your visit..Jae
ReplyDelete