Thursday, 16 December 2021

God's Poems

Dear old year
I whisper under my breath 
You have come and gone 
Like a gaze into the fire 
Notes scribbled on a page 
Breaths taken in a frozen bowl 
Alice is the host of this party 
Her dainty little mouth
Chewing sugar and candy 
I wonder what next year will bring
She sings 
I can not bear to think of another year
It makes my stomach taut 
Perhaps it is better to dream 
To be wrapped up in clouds
And winter sunshine 
Keeping the world outside
Away
We are good at that
All snug and warm together
The kettle bubbles
Alice skips from lounge to kitchen
All excited and young
I watch her 
And can't help feeling
We are all God's poems.

10 comments:

  1. ‘Perhaps it is better to dream’ ~~~~ yes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! MY! GOODNESS! From first word to last, this is my favourite of your poems EVER. I can hardly believe one year has passed so quickly. But at my age, I dont look ahead to a whole year, I do one day at a time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "We are all God's poems." Yes, we are, and I have never heard it put that way, or so beautifully. This poem is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Jae! And yes, that final line is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that ending game me chills!!! So perfect and true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we are all God's poems. Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year to you Jae...Stay well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! May you and Alice--indeed, all of us--continue to be God's poems for the rest of this year, the next, and the next... Blessings, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, just like all your work this year JaeRose, may 2022 just fly to the moon! Peace and joy at this turning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the whimsical way in which you write. Really lovely, with a good ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, sure God’s poems. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete