Sunday, 22 August 2010

Dangerous

We awoke and had toast. He ate around the edges making the bread smaller bite by bite. He was contemplating. Looking at the street below. The cat was stretched out on the open window sill. I think you should do it he said. There’s no point hanging onto something which is dead. I told him it was part of him. That things would change if his locks were shorn. He swallowed his toast and licked his fingers. Resolute. Do it he said and he turned his chair towards the window and looked out. I stood behind him. Lined the scissors up along the bottom of his hairline. I was unsure. Sick with the danger of change. I had to grip the scissors because my fingers were slick with sweat. The sun bounced off the metallic blades. I set my mouth and focussed my eyes. With a crisp shearing sound the scissors cut though his hair. With a sigh I watched his curls fall to my feet. The last memory of summer falling. The last part of him I could touch passing through my fingers. Samson swept up and thrown away.

16 comments:

  1. I really liked this, two lives explained in so few words - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alice - you pipped me to the post, I was just about to comment on your entry! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected the scissors to slip to his jugular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love when so much is conveyed in such a short piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a meaningful haircut that was! A great way to show how every event in our life can have an intense feeling with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling. Change is such an inevitable thing, and certainly desirousm but some things we never want to see go away...the sweetness of it.

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change is never easy, and oh what a change that was. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Particularly soulful, clever. Alice and Dangerous said it already: you packed major power in just a few words. Major gift you have, Miss Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the hidden story in this. The end of the holiday may also be an end to the relationship. You have cut him down to size and he is no longer invincible. Samson is certainly gone and you are back in control. No wonder your fingers were sweaty! Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It contains so much. Thanks for posting this.


    moth or mammoth

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many ways to read this, so many places where the reader may step in with his/her own memories or experiences. That just means it has a Universal draw, which in turn means, really good writing,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all..some lovely comments..Jae :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. simple yet so power-packed !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh change always seems dangerous doesn't it? I do not care for it myself - it always makes me twitchy. I like the known, the familiar, comfortable routine..
    She cuts his hair and cuts their ties? Sad end to summer, to love? Poignant. Thanks for visiting - I am getting through the first few weeks of school craziness and then things will settle down and I will write more :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comment 'ladynimue'..and Hi Dee! Yep, don't do change well either - nothing like the comfort of an old pair of slippers..good luck with the school craziness..Jae

    ReplyDelete